Friday, September 23, 2022

Ravens - Block 5 done



 I finished Block 5 of the Ravens quilt by Blackbird Designs.  The pattern came out in 2016 and I am just now getting around to making it.  But, to be honest, there are many more things in my sewing studio that are much older than this.



The colors are a bit unusual and they kind of clash in a good Halloweenish way.  It's almost like listening to music with discordant notes..  I love the purple fabric that I used for the house with it's images of orchids on it.  Very different from what I'm used to using.



I included my interpretation of this plant (on the lower left of the block) that comes up each autumn in the garden.  I have no idea what it is.  Large green leaves come up in late spring and die back about mid-summer.  Then in the fall the leafless stock shoots up with these bright berries.  It is really an intense orange color.

I'm going to work on Block 6 next.  It will go much faster because there aren't as many pieces; one large bird, a pumpkin, stems and leaves.  I will still need to make berries but they will be larger.

I did the house block first to get the busiest block out of the way.

I've been going through my fabric to find big pieces to sew together for backings.  I am normally a wholecloth backing type of quilter but I've got a number of large pieces left over from other projects that don't really go with anything and need to be used up.  

Upward and onward.

Robin


5 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

This is going to be such a fun quilt! I love your house fabric too, especially with the contrasting yellow window fabric.. That's a very interesting plant, seems like i should know what it is but nothing is coming to mind yet.

Julierose said...

this is really a beautiful block--so evocative of the Halloween Season...nice work, Robin hugs, Julierose

Nancy said...

This block looks spectacular, Robin! I was thinking about it yesterday and realized that Halloween colors have altered since I was a child, when orange and black were the ones. These days it seems that purple and gold are the Halloween colors of choice. Anyway, I think this is going to be a spectacular quilt! And I like your interpretation of the little flower with orange berries. It's such a fun, personal addition. I'm looking forward to seeing the next block.

Chookyblue...... said...

there a bit of work in that block....goodluck.......

searsportquilter said...

I think that plant is the seed head of a Jack-in-the-Pulpit.

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...