Thursday, September 29, 2022

Block 6 of Ravens Quilt done


I finished the applique for Block 6 of Blackbird Designs "Ravens" quilt.  It was a much easier block than Block 5 (see previous post).   I've decided to do Block 2 next (another complicated one).    The fabric for the wing has the poem "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe written all over it.

And because I've been spending so much time working on this Halloween quilt . . . when I saw this Art Gallery post on Instagram, I immediately pictured it made with black, orange, and purple fabrics.



Wouldn't it look terrific in those colors.  It's a free pattern on their site.



Two friends and I went to Midway yesterday to stop at the Christmas store - Kringles. 

It's not at the peak of autumn color yet but the red scattered over the mountains was sure pretty.



Kringles is  a sweet store.  I should have taken more pictures.  Isn't that hydrangea pretty with it's pink hue.



After  about 18 texts back and forth between my son and I - I bought this little gnome snow globe for him.  It has rainbow glitter for the snow.



At another store my friend modeled this Cleopatra-like necklace pillow.  There were earrings to match - ha!



After Kringles and the pillow store the skies opened up and we really got rained on.  We haven't had much rain in the valley this summer (Midway is up in the mountains) so the big drops of cold water felt good.  I had on sandals and didn't feel the cold till much later when the rain had stopped.



There were a lot of cute little houses in the small town with gingerbread trim.  Fun to see.



 We ended up eating lunch at a Mexican restaurant that was really slow but the food was sure good.  We were in no hurry and enjoyed just visiting and some new food items.

I should have taken more picture but the restaurant was dark and then I forgot about it.  

It was a lot of fun being together and taking some time away.

Robin

10 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh your block is so beautiful--colors are super!! I love it!!
Nice that you could have a little "day away";)))
Have a great weekend hugs, Julierose

Janet O. said...

A great finish on your applique block!
Yes, that quilt would be stunning in Halloween colors. When you finish it in time for Halloween (this year or next?), I hope you will share photos! LOL
We just drove through Sardine Canyon today, and you are right--it is not peak color season yet. But that is a pretty shot of the red on the mountain.
Sounds like a fun getaway to Midway. Wish we had received some of that rain a little farther north.
That is sweet detailing on that house. I am trying to recall if I have ever been to Midway--I think not. I need to get out more. :)

Quilting Babcia said...

Ah, those raven blocks are so wonderful! The color on your hills is so subtle, very different from the woodlands here. Do you know what tree/plant turns that wonderful soft pink shade on your hillsides?

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Another gorgeous Autumn block, Robin. I'm so enjoying seeing these. What a great trip to take with friends!Thanks for sharing some photos.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

The Ravens blocks are looking great. It's a neat time of year to work with those motifs and colors. Your Midway getaway looked fun. It's such a beautiful time of year, even on rainy days.

audrey said...

The crows are so much fun. I am loving the colors you are using and the text fabric on this crow is fantastic! Perfect choice.:) I bet these blocks are extra special fun to work on during this time of year!

Nancy said...

What a beautiful block, Robin. I love everything about it. You are making these so quickly. You'll be finished before the month's out. It's probably a good idea to alternate between simple blocks and a more complicated one.
The mountain color is amazing. It makes me think of a Monet painting.
What a sweet Victorian house with all the gingerbread.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your Raven blocks are looking great! And that is the perfect way to use the text fabric, very clever! I just love the snow globe!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I am a big fan of ravens, and anything Poe, so I am loving these quilt blocks. I would love a Poe quilt (although I do have Poe pillow shams and a duvet cover), and marvel at the fabric with the text of "The Raven." Love this!!!

Denice Barker said...

Loving watching the progress on your raven quilt. I made that one, too, and it's one of my favorites.

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...