Wednesday, May 3, 2023

I just finished Jane Austen's Persuasion

  I've seen the movie numerous times, the BBC version.  Click on the BBC link for the video trailer,

Most Faithful to the Book and Most Critically Acclaimed: Persuasion (1995 Film) Similar to Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility, Austen fans and film critics agree that the BBC's 1995 adaptation of Persuasion is both truest to the original text and the best crafted film.

But, I realized I had never read the book.  I'm so glad I did.  It explains things that either weren't addressed in the movie or they just went over my head.  Sometimes I miss the innuendos and clues of a period piece because I'm so enamored with the spectacular scenery or the décor in a room, or the fabulous costuming.

It went into more depth of personalities, family ties, and the relationship Anne has with her school chum.  I might read it again just to get all those things firmly in my mind.



There a Robin building a nest in the crook of the Wisteria.  He was busy for two days and then stood sentinel for a couple more.  I haven't seen him all day today.  I think he realized that there's too much people traffic on the sidewalk nearby.  No female wanted this nest which is a shame because in just a few days. . . 


The wisteria will be in full bloom and the leaves will disguise and hide the nest.  

So, going along with my theme - Maybe he will come back and be more persuasive the second time.

Those little spikes coming off the stem are actually buds, very large buds, that will turn into the 12" long strands of lovely purple wisteria.



And, in quilty news. . .  I finished this table topper from over 10 years ago.  It has been waiting impatiently for me to get around to it



And it will be used Friday for our Cinco de Mayo family dinner.



Ole,

Robin

7 comments:

Nancy said...

I've not read or watched Persuasion. I'll have to do both. Thank you for the movie recommendation.
I hope the robin hasn't completely abandoned the nest. That would be so sad.
Your table is perfect for Cinco de Mayo! Congrats on the finish.

Nancy said...

P.S. This is just to say that's a fabulous nest. I love all those trailing vines.

Quilting Babcia said...

I've never read that book, but should, one day soon. We too have an apparently failed attempt at nest-building on our front porch, where the mate never showed up after the nest was finished. So sad, we love to see them each summer. Your table-topper will be perfect for Cinco de Maya! It's always such a good feeling to have a really old ufo finally finished. Enjoy!

Janet O. said...

I love to have a Jane Austen read-a-thon every now and then, and just go through all her books. I also love to have a movie marathon after reading one of her books, and just put on every movie version of the book I just read as I work around my sewing room.
I am jealous of your wisteria. A cousin of my husband gave us a start years ago, but we don't have a good place for it, and it isn't thriving in its current location.
What a fun table topper for your Cinco de Mayo celebration! Very vibrant and happy.

Paulette said...

Oh, that's the perfect table topper for a Cinco de Mayo dinner! It's been awhile since I've read anything Austen, and I don't think I've read Persuasion (or seen the 1995 movie version). I may have to remedy that!

Heidee L said...

You are getting so much done!

Kaja said...

Poor robin. I hope he has better luck once his nest is better hidden. Your table topper is so cheerful; perfect for a celebration.

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...