Tuesday, February 21, 2023

I wanted a little quilt with cheddar.


I finished my wheel quilt top.  We're expecting a big snow storm so it's really cloudy and dark and this picture is rather shadowy.  My DD#2 is holding the quilt up for the picture.  It measures 50" X 45".  She makes a great quilt stand.

I loved the wheel and wagon wheel quilts I have seen online.  Especially on Lizzy's gone2thebeach.blogspot.com and Hat Creek Quilts.

So I took (stole) some ideas from the quilts I saw and came up with my own take on it.



I made the circles by tracing around a bowl on some lightweight paper.  I marked the center and sewed a piece of fabric (wrong side down) from the center to the outside of the circle.  I folded it over so the right side is up.  Then I pressed it and trimmed it to form a wedge.  I put the edge of the next fabric on the unsewn edge and sewed a 1/4" seam.  I fold it over and pressed.   Then I again trimmed it to form a wedge.  I did this all the way around the circle until I overlapped the first wedge.  I trimmed it so I could turn under 1/4" and then I sewed it by hand.   I also removed all the paper from the back.



I wasn't sure how many circles I wanted so I kept sewing until it was about the size I had in mind.  It turned out I made 12 wheels.  I only wanted a wall hanging so I thought that would be enough.  I wanted to set them with cheddar fabric.  And, this is how I did it.



First I appliqued an orange circle over the edges that come together in the center.  I auditioned black and red for the circles but the orange looked best.  I trimmed the back of the wheel where I had appliqued the center so it wasn't so bulky.

Now it was time for reverse applique.



I cut a 10" square out of the cheddar.  I centered the wheel on the cheddar, right side down, and machine sewed around the outside edge using a basting stitch so it would be easy to unpick.



This picture shows the block from the other side.



I pinched a small portion of the back only, 1/4" from the stitched line and made a small cut.




I slipped the point of my scissor between the layers and trimmed 1/4" around the circle being careful not to cut the wedges of the wheel on the other side.





This picture shows that I have trimmed all of the circle and am ready to clip all the way around,




I then appliqued all the circles onto the cheddar by pulling out a few basting stiches at a time, turning under the 1/4" to the inside, and applique stitching all around the circle.




 

I auditioned a few fabric for sashing and borders and ended up using black baby wale corduroy for the sashing and inner border.  I made small hourglass blocks that are also in the border.  I love the richness and texture that the corduroy gives to the piece.  I'll have to take a picture in the sunlight so it's more obvious.



I added a little bit larger red outer border and I'm going to bind it with the orange to repeat that color from the center of the wheel. 

The corduroy was a little bit tricky to sew on.  It wasn't bulky just soft and rich.  It was hard because it doesn't stretch at all like regular quilting cottons can do.  So, I had to cut the strips a little bit longer than the measurement and ease them to the end.

I made this quilt entirely without a pattern.  It's as close to improv as I get.  Some of the wheels are a bit wonky but I left them in . . . adds to the charm.

I'm not sure how I'm going to quilt this.  I don't think it will be that hard to quilt on the corduroy because it soft but I'm not sure I want to see quilting stitches on the corduroy, if that makes sense.  So, I'll have to give it some thought, I'm in no hurry.

Thanks for checkin' in,

Robin



Picture of the snow built up against the back door.




If you look closely there is a 12" ruler stuck in the snow and you can just see the tip of it peeking through on top of the banister.  Notice the snow on the bird house.



Snow on the cars outside


We have received over 12" in the last 24 hours and it's still snowing out there.

10 comments:

Janet O. said...

Good job, Robin! Love this original creation.
I am impressed with the reverse applique. My daughter did leaves swirling around on a skirt once in reverse applique. I watched a bit and new it was out of my league.
I am intrigued that you used the baby wale corduroy as sashing. I can imagine the depth it brings to the piece.
Kudos to you for carrying out your idea!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Robin, what a clever technique to use! The cheddar sure is cheerful and such a good contrast to the deeper colors1 I love it!

Quilting Babcia said...

I love how your addition of one or two light fabrics in each wheel adds a shimmering effect when viewed as the entire quilt top. Seeing them together reminded me of the old 45 phonograph records we had in our youth - "dancing discs"! The black corduroy, the cheddar backgrounds and the deep red border are a perfect foil for the wheels! Also amazing is how quickly you finished this. We're getting a bit of snow this afternoon, supposedly transitioning to freezing rain or sleet later. We've had hardly any snow this winter, very strange.

Denice Barker said...

Love the cheddar with the red border!
We are getting sleety pellets but no snow, absolutely everything is closed in anticipation of freezing rain.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

It was so fun to read how you achieved these cool improv wheels. You sort of figured out an improv way to paper piece and I love it! Great with the cheddar and with the added texture of the corduroy too. That is some impressive snow! Just beautiful!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Robin, lovely post...so much progress on these wheels, reminds me of my big project on the go at this time. Since seeing your cheddar which I love, I've ordered more fabric in those rich colours for a someday project. Great quilt stand!

Nancy said...

This is a positively charming quilt, Robin! I love the impression I have that it's a little modern, a little improv, and a lot antique/vintage/traditional. The fact that you used corduroy for sashing adds to the vintage/antique impression of the quilt.
Thank you for the clear tutorial about how you did reverse applique. It is very helpful. I have some small circles that could only be used if I did reverse applique. (And I might....)
Could you do straight-line quilting on the corduroy using black thread? It might not be too obvious.
I'm just a little envious of your snow. We haven't had any for a few months now, and it almost seems like spring. it's very grey and rainy today here in central Ohio.

audrey said...

I really like the slightly off-perfect look to your wheels! Great job! Noticed that right away.:)

Kaja said...

Thank you for showing us how you did the circles, it's very helpful. I had wondered if the corduroy would be hard to quilt or not, hadn't thought about how it would work visually. Maybe you could quilt everything else and not the corduroy, though I also thought perhaps you could quilt in just a few places across the line of the wale, maybe two or three lines of quilting, then a big gap (if that makes sense).

Barb said...

Love the color story of your wheels quilt! very graphic and appealing~

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...