Thursday, August 3, 2023

Brown Bird by Renee Plains


I just finished quilting this little wall hanging called "Brown Bird".  I bought this pattern years and years ago, it's dated 2000.  It was a delight to make.  But, it has been waiting to be finished for a long time.


I wanted to make it in the same colors as the original but my fabrics didn't look as vintage.  They just looked ugly.  So, I noticed that Wendy Reed of The Constant Quilter fame often used 19th century bright prints instead of the drab ones.  So, that is why this piece looks so bright.  They are all reproduction prints.



This is the next piece to be quilted.  I want to make sure it is available for fall decorating.  The black corduroy border is so soft.  Not exactly sure how I'm going to quilt it. . . 



I'm still working on the S'mores quilt in between all the other things that are going on. I've made 61 small economy blocks so far.

 My downstairs company has gone camping for 3 days and guess what?  I'm absolutely alone today.  My husband is golfing at two different places and will be gone all day.  I don't know why being truly alone fills my cup to the brim.  I can think more clearly, I accomplish a lot more in a shorter space of time,  I feel energetic,  I feel more creative, and I'm just happy.



This is on the counter waiting for me.  I need to bottle some tomatoes.  The berries are done and now it's time to preserve tomatoes.  Preserving what my good husband grows is necessary.  It's not one of my favorite things but I'm always glad for the food during the winter.

We got over 1/2" of rain yesterday.  It was so refreshing.  July was a pretty dry month for us.

Do you remember the book by Louis Lamour called Riders of the Purple Sage?  I always wondered when the sage looked purple because its a low scrubby looking plant  in a dusty green most of the time.   Well, I found out that there are at least two other varieties of sage and here is one of them.


This is the ornamental variety.  I think it's really Salvia but it looks like Purple Sage to me.

My husband had a concert in Logan last Thursday.  It was in the old 1st Ward building.  This is the painting that was at the front of the chapel.  I tried to find out who the artis is but could not.  The architecture of the building is really wonderful.  It was stadium seating with the pews slanted up with each row.  There was a balcony in the back which is unusual in LDS churches.  It was built in 1861.




The lighting wasn't excellent but the music was really good.  My husband plays for the Salt Lake City Letter Carriers band.  No, he's not a letter carrier but they needed more band members so they accepted this accountant and made him treasurer of the organization.







 

This was the sunset last Thursday as we drove home.  It was taken as we drove through Box Elder county.  You can see the edge of the Great Salt Lake if you look closely  What a splendid explosion of the last rays of the sun for the day.

Robin

7 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

very nice little quilt...wendy is a great source of inspiration for many of us!

Quilting Babcia said...

Great little quilt! I think your sage is Perovskia or Russian sage. We grew them in Oregon and have been able to keep a couple alive here in WNY, though our winters are a lot colder and longer. They're great for attracting bees and butterflies. Your tomatoes look delightful. Our weather early in the season coupled with my bout of Lyme disease made for a poorly tended garden, and very few tomatoes this year.

Nancy said...

I love your Brown Bird, Robin. What a charming quilt. So glad you finished it. I think the dark prints make it look primitive and your brighter prints make it look 1800s.
Your making your economy blocks so quickly! I pulled out fabric scraps given to me by other on Thursday and made one block. It took so long. I do love economy blocks but I'm not enamored with making them. We'll see if I keep going. (I'm imagining a post coming up about these blocks and this quilt.)
How wonderful that you had some alone time. I'm an introvert and alone is my best situation most of the time. When my husband retired it was a huge adjustment for me having him home all the time.
I did not know that sage and salvia are the same plant until I just looked it up. I thought I knew herbs pretty well but I guess not. I knew that both bloomed purple and when I worked in a shop that sold live and dried herbs, the owner cut salvia to dry and sold it in bunches. It holds its flowers well.
How interesting to have that painting at the front of the chapel. For pioneer heritage, I would guess. It looks like a beautiful chapel, especially with the pipes for the organ. What instrument does your husband play?
Gorgeous sunset.

Linda said...

Your Brown Bird hanging is just wonderful! I like that you used corduroy in your "next to be quilted" project. I have some red corduroy - I cut up one of my husband's shirts (he "grew out of it" - lol!) - and I want to use it in a Christmas quilt.

Good luck with your canning - I need to do that too.

I like to be alone, and it happens so rarely. I love my husband and my family, but like you I can think more clearly, and I feel more at peace.

You live in such a beautiful place. My husband and I talk about moving north or northwest "some day". We are in our 70s but the wanderlust never ends. I love looking on Realtor.com and have looked in southern Utah. Such nice mountain and canyon views!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I really like that one!!!
I am with you - I like to have a day alone as well - it kinda sets me up for the rest of the week - Enjoy!!!

Chookyblue...... said...

Cute quilt and gorgeous sunset....

Barb said...

Your circle quilt is wonderful! it will be perfect for fall.
Those tomatoes look delicious!!

Not much sewing around here

The time for getting new flooring is almost here.   This is my tiny living room that no longer has that carpet on the floor.  My husband tor...