I have been watching everyone's progress and have been stumped.
First of all I was thinking about the name. . . Bramble Blossoms. I thought maybe I ought to be literal and do something with thorns. What has more thorns on it that most other flowers? Roses, you say? Well, I was taking it a little farther. . . I was thinking wild roses. Can you believe all those thorns?
Wild roses have lovely blossoms.
And come in different colors.
There is a really lovely pink but I didn't get a picture of that one.
And they have rose hips. Aren't these great?
Well, I couldn't get excited about this idea so I tried to think of something else. And then, a tulip I had seen in one of my magazines came to mind. I see it every once in a while as I'm flipping through pages looking for something else. I make a mental note that I would like to applique that tulip some time. So, I went hunting. It took me two days but I found the pattern. It is in Primitive Quilts and Projects magazine. And yes, it is as delightful as I remembered. And it would kind of be paying homage to Audrey and the lovely tulips she puts in some of her quilts.
|Folk Art Tulip by Kerri Arthur of Calico Rabbit Patterns|
And then I thought, "This is supposed to be about me not someone else. What flowers bring a smile to my face and aren't super difficult to applique (because I came up with lots of other ideas and they were way to complicated)."
I finally decided on Hollyhocks. I'm always taking photos of them, in fact here I am posing amongst them in 2013.
(Not the most flattering picture but when you're my age flattering pictures are in the past.)
AND, I was excited about this idea.
So, I had to finish the current Christmas project I was working on and that seemed to take a really long time but it's done and I'm prepared.
Just today I got out pictures to look at to see the actual shapes of blossoms and leaves and tried to do a couple of sketches.
And then I got out my stack of fabrics to see what looked like hollyhocks.
Well, generally speaking . . .
And here is what I came up with.
I chose my greens and then the red at the top center is the only one that came out of my stack. I had to go hunting for pink and rosy tones. I may or may not use all these colors for blossoms, we'll see.
So, I've started the journey and now I can relax and sew.
(I'm just kidding about the relax part.)