Thursday, March 7, 2024

Ongoing progress


I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square.

Now I'm at a standstill. . . 

I'm not sure what to do next.  I had considered putting a border of present blocks but that seemed to be too busy next to the star blocks.  I thought about flying geese, red and white pinwheels, 9-patches, a row of tiny trees, and just this morning I am thinking about words.  

With this improv and the Bramble Blooms improv - I think I'm ready for a straight forward pattern, of  cutting and sewing where all I have to consider is the beautiful fabric.

I guess I'll get one of my UFO tops ready to be quilted and then at least I'll be doing something productive while my indecision wallows.

My 2 eleven year old grandsons decided to roll a snowball to use up all the snow on the grass in the backyard.  They finally had to stop because they couldn't push it anymore - too heavy.
 


I had hoped for a snowman.  But no, I just have a very large lump of snow in the corner of the backyard.  We've got some more snow coming but  we won't get very much on this side of the valley, we never do.

I think I'll make a pie this morning.  That would make my DH very happy.

Robin




7 comments:

Julierose said...

Your Christmas piece is really lovely---I love the huge snowball--sounds like my son would've done that when he was little with his "rat pack" of friends...
hahaha hugs, Julierose

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Nice progress on your quilt. I had to laugh about the giant "lump" of a snowball. What a gorgeous pie!!

Quilting Babcia said...

I think any of your ideas for potential next borders on the Christmas quilt would work nicely. Snow has been in short supply here too. We're supposed to get 1-2 inches over the weekend and then by midweek be basking in 50-60 degree temps again.

Linda said...

I just love seeing your progress on the Christmas quilt. That is quite the snowball! Is that an apple pie?

Denice Barker said...

I like the words idea. It would break up the points and be fun. And I like the blue, too. Good luck! My strategy is to think about the project as you are falling asleep and the answer will come to you. I've solved many a quilting design dilemma that way.

Nancy said...

Your Christmas quilt looks great. I'm especially impressed with the gifts under the tree!
I know what you mean about a straightforward pattern. Improv and applique give me a bit of a mental workout. Or maybe a creative workout.
Those snowballs do become really heavy the bigger they get. It's too bad they couldn't have managed two smaller ones, though. It's wonderful to see that you still have snow. Wishful thinking here.
Yum to the pie. I rarely make desserts these days. My husband is diabetic, which doesn't stop him from eating sweets.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Robin, I have had a few false starts now with my BB improv and I'm still dithering about what to do next. So I know what you mean about working on a pattern. I love your Christmas quilt...it's heading towards a sweet finish.

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...