Wednesday, February 28, 2024

A fun little project.




I made a little needlebook today.  It took me most of the day.    It looks a little tilted because of that dusty green leaf in the upper right corner but I assure you it's really okay.  I used a pattern by Ann Wood and it is on her blog here.  She has free patterns and easy to follow instructions.




This is the first inside page.  I sewed a little pocket on the upper left.  And there is a matching one on the lower right of the back inside cover.  I think I'm going to tack some white felt patches on the inside of both covers for easy access.



This is the 2nd page unit using a piece of  ballet pink 3 Sisters fabric that I love and only have a few scraps of it left. 



This is the middle and 3rd page.  The heart is like another folio (is that the right word?) and yes I know it's off center.  I'm trying to decide if I want to unpick that seam and center it because when it's full of needles. . . is it really going to bother me?

I used fabrics from an old 3 Sister line called Gingham Rose.  I loved that line - sigh.  



And this is the back with it's little bird button.  The instructions say to button it on the front. 

Oops!



 And this picture shows it's thickness.

I think it turned out pretty well overall and  it was a fun project.  

So, it's cute.

It's done.

And I now can get my needles organized so I'm not always wondering where I put my binding needle, or embroidery needles  or "big stitch" needles etc.  I even found a beading needle while I was going through things.  Now, I know where that is.😏

Back to the Christmas quilt. . . 

Robin

8 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

What a lovely way to utilize favorite scraps of fabric, pretty and useful. Winning combination!

Hubblebird said...

I think that this is a lovely project. So personal and intimate. I’m going to look for the pattern. Personally, I would leave the heart just as it is, because it’s a bit quirky and makes it yours.

Janet O. said...

What a precious little creation, and a really special way to preserve and enjoy the last little bits of a favorite fabric line. The bird on the front--perfect! I love every page you shared. Those fabrics are very sweet.
I think the slightly tipsy heart is part of the handmade charm.
A dear blog friend gifted me a little needle book years ago, and I used a micron pigma pen to write on the corner of the pages the type of needle I was storing there. It helps me find the right needle, when I have forgotten what the different needles look like, after not using a specific type for a while. :)
Well done, Robin!

Linda said...

What a beautiful needlebook! I love that fabric, and the stitching makes it looks so cute. Nicely done!

Denice Barker said...

What a nice project! Love that fabric, because I had some of it, too!! I used a couple of Ann Woods' patterns for critters!

Nancy said...

Oh, charming! The fabrics you chose are so beautiful. I like the idea of preserving scraps of favorites in a book like this. Lots of handwork for this! It's easy to see why it took a day to make. Ann Wood has such great patterns, doesn't she?
Needles.... I never know what kind I'm using and wouldn't be able to organize them except by comfort in my fingers. I pull from those old cardboard needles books that were give-aways years and years--decades and decades--ago.
Well done!

Mystic Quilter said...

What a treasure you've made, it's beautiful and the fabrics used are perfect.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

What an absolutely sweet needle book. It must be a pleasure to use.

Not much sewing around here

The time for getting new flooring is almost here.   This is my tiny living room that no longer has that carpet on the floor.  My husband tor...