Friday, February 9, 2024

Ho Ho Ho

 I'm preparing a meal to take to someone else this morning.  It always makes me so nervous.  It's because  while I used to be a pretty good cook. . . as I have aged I don't multi-task as well.   Sometimes ingredients get forgotten or I don't stir something or the cake falls.  I think it's because I'm out of practice.  So, I picked a never-fail recipe and I'm plowing ahead.  I also added ham chunks to this recipe.

We woke up to about 2" of new snow.  It's always so pretty to see the world covered in white. But, having snow on the ground meant that I wouldn't be going for my walk.  My walking partner has had knee replacements and she won't risk slipping and falling.  I don't blame her at all.   I just looked out the window and the sweet snowflakes are fluttering down again.  Sigh, so peaceful.


I've started yet another Christmas quilt.  Here is my progress.




The background looks tan but it is white and measures 24" X 24".  My middle son (who I'm making the quilt for) used to spend weeks before Christmas sleeping under the Christmas tree.  He's behind the loveseat because that is where the heating vent was.



I need to finish the pillow, decorate the tree, and make presents.  I think the wall in the center needs a picture or shelf or something.  I'll figure that out when I get the rest done.

I was going to make individual blocks to look like my son's ornaments.  This is a really horrible picture of his missionary tree.  As each of the kids went on their missions I would collect their ornaments given to them by Grandma and Grandpa and put them on an artificial 1/2 tree that hung on the wall.  This son's tree is the only one that I have a picture of and so I have a record of all the ornaments.  



Now that I'm actually working on the quilt I shudder to think how much time it would take to make those 12 ornament blocks.  It would look fabulous but I need to come up with better idea.

Christmas is only 320 days away,

Robin


6 comments:

Barb said...

I'm sure your meal will be very welcomed!
what a wonderful quilt block.
I like the idea of recreating those ornaments.

Linda said...

I am amazed at the detail in your quilt! Are you working from a photo? Your son's sleeping face is so well done!
I bet your meal was delicious. I used to regularly cook for crowds in my catering business. I still love to cook and bake, but I have the same "forgetting an ingredient" issues now - lol!

Janet O. said...

I'm with you, Robin. Several years ago I started measuring everything out individually for a recipe, in small prep bowls. I don't start the cooking process until I have everything lined up in the order in which it is added.
This Christmas block is so clever, and looks really good. Your son is going to love it! I wouldn't be real eager to replicate all those ornaments in block form, either. Good luck deciding what to do.

Mystic Quilter said...

Now this is what I call being organised!!

Nancy said...

I hope your meal turned out as you wanted it to. I've never been a good cook so taking a meal is a real challenge for me. It never seems to fail that if I'm making a meal or dessert specifically for someone or something special, it fails.

I wish we had snow! It's been early-spring weather here for at least a week (and longer if I count those two weeks of clouds).

You are so far ahead of the game, Robin, to start a Christmas quilt in February! Your son looks amazing! It's really hard (or me, anyway), to get people right in fabric. This whole quilt seems challenging but I know it will be fabulous! I will eagerly watch for updates as the year goes on.

Janie said...

Christmas is not so far away, right? Thinking ahead is a good thing, I agree.
And what a wonderful Christmas memory you have. Stay warm, we had a little snow flurry this morning.

Not much sewing around here

The time for getting new flooring is almost here.   This is my tiny living room that no longer has that carpet on the floor.  My husband tor...