Posts

Showing posts from August, 2017

Okay,

Image
I finished the top panel for the Roseville Album Quilt just now.  Whew!

I need to make a doorknob and there's a large circle that goes on top of the plant in the lower left corner.  So, when I get my circle making stuff out again for another block I'll make those two extra.

I've decided to name this block "My Full Time Job".  Working on it everyday felt like a job sometimes.

I laughingly call this quilt the Co2 quilt because there are so many bubbles (circles) on it.   I didn't put the circles on the lower or left panel thinking I could get away without them.  But, I can't so I'll have to go back and make them carbonated as well.

Hope you have time to put in a few stitches today.
Robin

a little challenge

Image
I wanted to participate with the Ad Hoc Improv Quilters  this quarter because they are adding words to their quilts.  I started this quilt and it would have been great but the addition of wording has taken it to a whole other place - I love it!



I'm not as creative as some others when it comes to IMPROV but I am having to change things up to fit the words in and add a few borders like the green swirl above.  (Actually that green swirl reminds me of a turtle shell close-up.) So, I'm getting a few creative juices going.  One step at a time I guess.

I have put words on quilts before.  I think it adds so much interest to the quilt.  It also reveals my thoughts and frame of mind as I come up with the right words.

The quilt top below is still in progress but I wanted to put words to a song my mother sang to us when we were children.  This is what I came up with.

 I appliqued the letters on after the top was completely pieced.  I'll plan ahead next time because it was really awkwa…

Preservation of boyhood memories

Image
My oldest son's father-in-law has asked me to repair his boyhood quilt. He's about 75 so it's from the 1940's sometime.  He lived in a rural part of southern Cache valley and he had a number of brothers.  They all slept together under this very heavy quilt.

It has a really hearty navy blue stripe on the back, almost like ticking but heavier.  The front is made from used wool coats.  The batting is cotton.  The binding is brought around from the back.

I thought I would just repair the worn and moth eaten areas and replace the binding.  But, after rinsing it in the tub 3 times because it was so dirty and smelled like a house that hasn't been opened to the fresh air for years,  I've just about decided to use another backing over the old one.



The wool top needs repairs but the backing is shredded in places.  It was hand quilted loosely across the top with heavy duty black thread .  This was a utility quilt at it's best.  Unfortunately the red wool bled in the …

All four?

Image
Maybe if I didn't try and work on all four projects at the same time, it would look like I am making faster progress.  I guess if I was honest there is another project that sneaks into the mix when I need a take-a-long task.  But, I only took pictures of the "four".



First up is the leader-ender project I cut out and then decided that it would be the actual project instead.  It's is such a scrappy quilt.  I know that's silly to say that but it's quite amazing really.  I've made the 16 blocks and am in the process of making 40 sashing strips.

I'm planning on putting a panel with words on it between the 3rd and 4th row of bears paw blocks.  Not sure whether I will hand applique, machine applique, or block out the letters in patchwork.

It's been a really fun project and a great break from all the hand applique I have been doing.




The 2nd project is the Halloween Eve cross stitch.  It is my "I'm in no hurry" project.  I just work on it at …