Saturday, August 19, 2017

Preservation of boyhood memories


My oldest son's father-in-law has asked me to repair his boyhood quilt. He's about 75 so it's from the 1940's sometime.  He lived in a rural part of southern Cache valley and he had a number of brothers.  They all slept together under this very heavy quilt.

It has a really hearty navy blue stripe on the back, almost like ticking but heavier.  The front is made from used wool coats.  The batting is cotton.  The binding is brought around from the back.

I thought I would just repair the worn and moth eaten areas and replace the binding.  But, after rinsing it in the tub 3 times because it was so dirty and smelled like a house that hasn't been opened to the fresh air for years,  I've just about decided to use another backing over the old one.



The wool top needs repairs but the backing is shredded in places.  It was hand quilted loosely across the top with heavy duty black thread .  This was a utility quilt at it's best.  Unfortunately the red wool bled in the cold water rinse and has soaked through to the backing.  Another reason for replacing the backing.

Does someone who has some experience with this type of repair have any suggestions?  Do I repair the wool with wool or will cotton do?  I know I need to replace the batting where it is missing  because of holes in the backing.

I think the boys must have kept the backing next to their skin because it wasn't as scratchy as the wool.  There is definitely much more wear on the backing.

I want to preserve this appropriately but I also don't want to spend an enormous amount of time doing it.

Thanks for any help,
Robin

8 comments:

Nancy said...

That's such a beautiful quilt. I like its bold, non-nonsense design and the colors. No wonder you son's father-in-law wants to save it. I don't have experience with repairing old quilts but I follow a blog, Ann Quilts, (at http://annquiltsblog.blogspot.com/) who repairs old quilts and shows how she does it. I don't know if she's discussed/shared about the challenge you're facing but she might be able to offer an opinion if you contact her. Good luck restoring this handsome quilt.

searsportquilter said...

I would take out the quilting and replace the old batting with a modern cotton batting. If you need to replace some portion of the wool pieces in the top you could probably get good material from wool clothing in a second hand store. Then put it together and quilt it however you think is best.

Chookyblue...... said...

Wow goodluck with that task..... Glad he still wants to keep such an old quilt.....

Janet O. said...

My goodness, Robin, that is turning into a major project. I don't know anything about restoring quilts, but it sounds like you are receiving some good advise from those that do.

Deb from frugal little bungalow said...

Oh my I have no clue but good luck :) It looks as if advice is already pouring in, though, so this will be interesting if you can manage it and let us know how it goes :)

Miaismine said...

Wow! What a thoughtful and courageous endeavor! You must be such a generous, kind person to agree to take on such a precious project! I'm sure it will go well! Thank you for sharing!

Ann said...

I agree. You are very generous to work on this. When quilts bleed, I soak them with synthrapol, color catchers, and oxygen bleach until the bleeding disappears. It usually takes several repeats. If it's really stubborn, I'll leave it soaking in the wash all day, spin it in the evening and drape it on the kitchen floor overnight (so I can see if the color's still running.) Then rinse 2-3 times in clear water.
Don't agitate these old quilts in the washer.
If they batting is missing, I'd take it apart and put the top to new batt and backing. But it it has lots of historical value, then wrap old with newer (definitely prewashed and dried) material to preserve the heritage. Even making wider binding to enclose old.
Good luck.

Karen said...

I have no experience with a repair project like this. Covering it with another backing and maybe tying it would be something I would try.

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...