Wednesday, September 26, 2018

#9 becomes a flimsy

In my post from August 20th I listed 15 UFOs that I wanted to get ready for the quilt frames.

Well, making a list must be rather motivating because I have finished another one.  That's three this month.  I finished #9 on the list;  the Baraboo Quilt;



It just needed a border.  The toile border may look unusual but when the quilt is spread out it's like icing on a cake.  So lovely. . . .

I also finished #1 on the list; my Sweet Land of Liberty Quilt.  I'm saving that picture till the link up on Friday (I think).

So I've finished #1, #2, #9, and #10. And that brings my list down to eleven.  Feels good!

Two of the four quilts just needed borders.  I've learned something about myself through this process.  Those two quilts got put away because I couldn't figure out how I wanted to frame them probably because I was anxious to sew on something else.  When I got the quilts out again I became fussy with the arrangement and made a lot more work for myself.  I fixed three blocks in the Baraboo Quilt and when I laid it out to measure for the border I found another block I wanted to tweak.  Stop!  Stop!  I quickly put the border on.  So, I need to make a decision for the border right while I'm designing the rest of the quilt and not put it off.

Lilacs
 It's been so dry here this summer that the moisture just gets sucked out of the leaves.

Hibiscus

This is what I wrote down after walking home from church on Sunday;
     " It is so dry out there that the air snaps when I walk.  I'm afraid to say the word "crisp" out loud for fear it will cause a spark.  That wind yesterday made the leaves on the trees cringe.  I've never been aware of it being so dry."

Looking forward to some rain. . .
Robin


5 comments:

audrey said...

Love this quilt! The block is one of my favorites. It's interesting how some parts of the process are so seamless and others love to frustrate us!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A great finish! And from what I can see, the toile border looks lovely. I find coming back to something after letting it sit for a bit works too, renewed interest/vision and all that!

Ann said...

I love this block and your color choices. Toile sounds like a good addition: modern, updated vintage. Good for you. I'm looking forward to some rain, too. I've traveled a lot this year but always miss the rain.

Cathy said...

Like others have said...I love the block and colors. Congrats on the finish. You must be on a roll and it must feel good to be getting things completed. Way to go!

It was dry most of the summer here too in Iowa but then we finished up the summer with too much rain and now it's getting cold already and I don't have the gardens cleaned up yet. When it was dry here the Japanese beetles came around and ate a lot of our leaves.

I like your writing.

Nancy said...

I love this quilt, Robin! I especially love the peach/coral/salmon/rose color range and the fabric(s) you used for the dividers in the circles is so beautiful. Did you use several fabrics or is it a print with lots of variety? It adds so much interest to the quilt.

I think I'm like you about finishes and borders. I have a quilt top I finished a year or two ago and when I pulled it out not long ago, thinking of quilting it next, I realized I didn't really like the border and will probably change it. If I leave quilt tops lying around too long, that's what happens -- changes! More work for myself.... But for me, adding the border isn't enough to stop me from making changes. I need to layer a quilt and begin quilting so I won't make more changes! The things we do to ourselves.

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...