Thursday, August 30, 2018

Sweet Land of Liberty Month 8

When I first decided to join in this SAL I knew that there were a few blocks that didn't strike my fancy and I would probably do something else in their place.  The freedom angel was one of them and the fairy angel was another.   I have been looking for ideas all year long and have come up with a few good ones.

1.  A simplified soldier
2.  Civil War drum
3.  IN GOD WE TRUST in cross stitch
4.  a punched tin lantern
    and the list goes on. . . . . . . .

Here is a link to my pinterest board to see some of the other ideas.

I ended up putting the hand with the heart in the palm (from the top border) instead of the freedom angel.

 I misplaced the papers that had the fish block and the remembrance embroidery so I came up with a little basket of fruit that says "land of plenty".




I've been looking through a lot of my old quilting magazines to try and come up with an idea for the ADHOC IMPOV Challenge of maps when I accidentally came across  a pattern for a trumpet.  I left the valves off so it would look like a bugle.  Perfect for the fairy angel block.  A bugle is as patriotic as a fish don't you think? VBG




I just pinned that bow on there for the time being.  I'll replace it with something permanent in another color.




I'll add the word Freedom from the freedom angel block across another section of the quilt.




I think I'm finished changing things.  So on to getting my ducks in a row and finishing up this quilt top in the next few months.


I also added the liberty bell on the snails trail blocks.  It doesn't show up at all so I'll probably move it.

I guess that's all,
Robin

11 comments:

Julierose said...

Loving your personal take on this SAL--I especially like that bugle..reminiscent of the Civil War days. Nice work hugs, Julierose

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I love your changes. The trumpet is perfect for this quilt!

Cathy said...

I love how you are making this your own. Hugs

Karen said...

A bugle is used at many patriotic ceremonies so a good choice.

jann said...

Love your blocks and your unique ideas to make it your own. Really loving the bow on the bugle..and the crossed fingers. Looking forward to seeing the whole thing together.

Nancy said...

I read your post yesterday but didn't have time to comment. I've been thinking about the changes in the pattern so many of us are making. We like a quilt or a pattern except for one or two small things.... I guess that's a great way to make it our own instead of an exact copy of someone else's quilt.

I like the changes you've made, Robin, and I especially like your big, beautiful stars with the tips that go all the way to the edge.

Janet O. said...

Isn't it part of the fun of quilting, to put our personal touches on a design and make our version unique to us? I enjoyed seeing your tweaks to this pattern. You have put a lot of effort into making this something that speaks to you.

Nancy in NV-wheres the dude at blogspot said...

Robin, I rather like the trumpet. How about a couple of musical notes to go with it? Just a thought. I am going to make an Uncle Sam for one of my angel blocks. I will need the block size before I draft one up. I love your changes.

dq said...

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the changes you have made to fit your style! The glove goes great there! The bugle is so PERFECT! I think it adds so much to this section. The liberty bell on the snails trail blocks is good, but I agree it may show up better in a different location. I am moving blocks around in my quilt as well.

I didn't love the Freedom Angel either.

Susan said...

Your changes seem in keeping with the other blocks, especially the bugle - yes, bugles are definitely as good as fish!

Lori said...

It is fantastic and I love the changes you are making! Love the bugle!!

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...