Thursday, October 24, 2019

A little at a time

This month has been beautiful.  My biggest maple didn't have the show it normally does but there are enough trees and shrubs in the valley that are dazzling and more than make up for it.

I have been slow to get things done quilt-wise this month.  I finally finished my cheddarback blocks this morning.



Here is the lily block that is appliqued instead of pieced like the original maker of the quilt made it.
I love the little piece of fabric I used for the stems.  It is so cute and it is all gone.

The lily block looks a little washed out.  The background fabric just blends in with the sashing.  The original maker put it on a light blue floral background but I didn't have anything like that to use.  Instead I put a strip of the pink sprigged fabric (that I'm using around the outside blocks) inbetween these two blocks as an accent since it is right smack dab in the middle of the quilt.




This is the 2nd block this month.  I originally put blue in the center but it drew too much attention to itself so I had to pick it out and re-adjust.    This block goes much better with the other blocks that you can see all together below.




Gay has begun a new QAL called the Ella Maria Deacon quilt.   It is mostly applique.  I don't know how Gay does it because she has to redraft all the patterns for the Cheddarback quilt and then make examples.  She is also drafting the patterns for Ella Maria Deacon  AND she runs a business as well as living her life.  Pretty amazing.

I'm on the last row on the quilt on the frames (see sidebar).  I will be so delighted to move on to something else.  I am so tired of these colors. 

Happy Fall Y'all.
Robin

5 comments:

Julierose said...

Just beautiful blocks you've made...great color choices hugs, Julierose

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh these are gorgeous! I LOVE that blue fabric! Are you doing the new Gay sew-a-long. I said yes, but I haven't started yet!!

Janet O. said...

I am always amazed at how many fabrics I have never seen--which is the case with that cute stem fabric, and the pretty blue in the next block. I can see how the blue may have stood out in the center of that block, but ever since another blogger pointed out to me that our quilting foremothers didn't have design walls, I have wondered if I overthink things. Well, I KNOW I overthink things, but it made me think about letting some things slide that I wouldn't have caught without a design wall. Did that make sense? :)
I don't know how you keep up with the intense BOM programs--especially the applique. But you do beautiful work, Robin!

Karen said...

Such a nice display of all those quilt blocks together. So much work involved but oh so worth it.

Nancy said...

Your blocks look great, Robin! I like the fabrics you chose for the lily block, especially the basket fabric.
How did I miss seeing the block you used for the last one in the left column. Did you post it and I missed it? Or did I see it and forget it? It's a great block for that spot.
Your blocks look so wonderful all sewn together.

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...