Monday, December 30, 2019

End of the month wrap up



It is the 30th and time to post my progress on the Celebrating Mary Brown quilt.  I appliqued the above block in 20 minute increments.  It was making me so nervous that I could only work on it for a short time.  That and it was the Christmas season, there were lots of other things to draw my attention.

It doesn't necessarily have an Alice theme or hint to it.  But the pansies in the Disney version of Alice in Wonderland were one of my favorites.




I started working on another block yesterday but as you can see there is still a lot to be done.

Check out the others participating in the Celebrating Mary Brown SAL

Karen at Log Cabin Quilter

Jennie at Over the hill and running

Julie K at Julie K quilts

Cathy B at Big Lake Quilter

Nanette at Do it right quilter

Jan posts on Nanettes blog

Rebecca at Quilting in a Polar Bear Garden




I got caught up with the Cheddarback blocks.  I accidentally cut the basket block with the light as the basket and the dark as the background.  I decided to sew it up that way anyway and it looks fine.  I hand pieced the hexagon-like block with fussy cutting in the middle.



  I really like the black and red block.

 The hourglass block  was inside an online order I received.  You can see the original state of the orphan block below.  Since it was similar to the block I needed to sew, I took it apart, matched the center seam and cut it to size.



I made the little tree from the Temecula Christmas SAL.  It's sandwiched but I haven't quilted it yet.  It was a fun mindless project.  The little blocks took about 15 minutes to cut and sew each day.




And then I felt like sewing one day during the holidays.  You know how it is, you just feel like putting fabric through the machine.  So I got out my floral scraps and matched them up with semi-solids to make some 36 patches.  The fabric needs to be used up so I guess this will be my no pressure/when I get around to it sewing for a while.








And I'll end with the only Christmas pictures I took this year - sigh.  The first is a gift from my SIL next to one of my favorite dolls.  The little house is a lighted toy store with Santa inside.  It is a continual snow scene.  It's quite heavy and my SIL paid the postage to get it here - gasp!  The doll is a Mary Hoyer doll with a sweater outfit made by Pauline McEnery.




One of my granddaughters left her mittens in the backyard.  And someone put them on the tree in the front yard to wait for her return.  I suspect foul play here. . .



And here we are for Christmas dinner.  Not everyone is in the picture but it was fun to have them around.  They didn't stay long enough though.  They were all gone by 1:30.

It's been a busy month.  I always look forward to January because even though the days are short and it is cold. . . no one needs me to do anything for them so I have a whole uninterrupted month and I know exactly which project is going to get the bulk of my attention.

See you when I surface,
Robin

8 comments:

Cathy said...

So many wonderful projects. I love your Celebrating Mary Brown block. Your fabric choice was a good one. I did the same as you...only worked on it for a few minutes at a time. Cheddarback blocks are looking good.

Ann said...

It's always a treat to see what you are making, Robin. I love the way you use your fabrics. Happy New Year.

dq said...

Hello Robin. I loved the peak into your family time and all of your wonderful projects!

Happy 2020!

Janet O. said...

What a gorgeous applique block!!
Your Cheddarback blocks are looking good.
Your little Temecula tree turned out really cute--wish I had found time to sew along.
Thanks for sharing the photo of your family dinner. I love seeing the Pyramid nativity on your table. We burn ours every December Sunday evening when the grandkids are here, and on Christmas Eve and during Christmas Day brunch. I usually do one last burn on New Year's. I hate to put it away each year.

audrey said...

That daisy block does look tricky. Good for you for persevering! How sweet to get an orphan block with an order! The fabrics are great.:) I'm like you, looking forward to January every year. Christmas is wonderful, but sometimes January has lots and lots of time to quilt. Crossing my fingers it will work that way this year as well. Enjoy your time with your project!

Karen said...

LOL! When I first read about your Mary Brown block, I thought you wrote that you finished it in 20 minutes. I was going to ask you what kind of medicine you had been taking. Then I saw you said 20 minute increments. Your fabric choice in the finished block is again so very different and oh so interesting.

Happiest of New Year's to you!

Nancy said...

Wow, you got a lot done for the busy month of December, Robin! Your pansy block looks just perfect to me. It's hard for me to imagine that you were nervous about it (because I think of you as such a seasoned and expert appliquer). Well done.
Your Cheddarback blocks look great, too. Nice choices for your fabrics and colors. It think the reverse colors on your basket block work very well with the rest of the red in the quilt.
What size did you cut the squares for your 35-patch blocks? I have leftover fabric here that I've been thinking of using in a similar way, but probably 16- or 25-patch blocks. We'll see if that happens....
Did you see the Cheddarback blocks for January? I usually start with the hardest block each month but this month I can hardly tell which is hardest. There are three that look really intimidating to me. Maybe 46 will be the hardest. I'm not sure I understand the directions -- cutting squares when we want to sew triangles! I hope someone can explain it to me. And those triangles are so tiny! This may turn out to be the block that I can't succeed at making!
Happy New Year to you!

Jennie in GA said...

Love where you are going with Mary Brown....so very different. Love your sweet doll standing beside the shop. Such a cute Christmas outfit she has on. I love everyone’s heddarback blocks. When do you finish that project?

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...