Saturday, August 8, 2020

Have a happy Saturday

 I have been trying to use up scraps.  

Usually I find some fabric I really can't live without 😏 and plan a project around it.  Well, I've been doing that long enough that I have lots of scraps.  

I seldom put small cuts in a scrap bag or box.  I fold the pieces up with the fabric so the next time I get it out for something I can cut up the smallest pieces first and then cut into the yardage.

It was time to try and use up some more of those scraps

I've been wanting to make a 16 patch block out of the florals I've amassed.  I made dresses and blouses for my two daughters through the years and I've made a few for myself.  It was past time to use them up.

So I made what turned out to be a 36 patch block and finished putting the top together yesterday.


It's not fancy at all.  In fact, the blocks don't necessarily go together but it looks like a homey comfy quilt that someone could lay across and get lost in Anne of Green Gables or Nancy Drew for an afternoon.

It is just going to be a utility quilt but someone will enjoy the soft colored sashing and sweet mood of the quilt when I get it quilted.


I've been working on my low volume quilt (who's name changes weekly).  I really like how the quilting is transforming the design without over-shadowing it.



I thought I was moving right along and would be finished with the quilting soon.  I counted up the finished blocks the other night and I only have 11 out of 20 done.  

I'm still working on compiling my assorted journals.  I'm up to 2002 so while it's taking forever. . .   I am making progress.  It's been bittersweet reliving the romances and weddings of my older children, one of which is now married to someone else.  It has been really draining to recall my loved ones deaths.  

I've tried to be honest and not edit out parts of the journals that show me in an less-than- desirable light but it has happened on occasion.  There are just certain things that don't need to be passed down 😁

The garden is at it's peak.

I've already bottled green beans and pickled beets.  I'm getting busy on the tomatoes (8 quarts yesterday) and pickles. The peaches are starting to ripen.  

Quilting time will be shorter for the next few weeks.

Robin

15 comments:

Karen said...

The quilting is adding so much to your low volume quilt. A design within a design.

If I had saved cotton scraps from all the clothes I made many years ago and added to all the scraps from quilt making, I would have needed a separate house. I admire that you utilized your clothing making scraps into the quilt. My mother made herself a dress with a small print of foxes on it. I saw it daily hanging in the closet in my bedroom. She used a piece of it in making a quilt. I would think of her every time I looked at the quilt. You have made memories in your new project.

Sandy said...

I love your scrap/utility quilt - those are my favorite kind of quilts! Not fussy, perfect for snuggling up in. I wouldn’t mind snuggling up in your low volume quilt, either :-)

Julierose said...

I love that pink sashing on the 16 patch piece--it really is a great "puller-together";))) Just a lovely piece...
Hugs from afar julierose

Chookyblue...... said...

The quilt on the bed is lovely...... Simple pattern but just still so lovely..... Goodluck on the quilting... Over 1/2 way.....

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I love your quilt - nothing better - utility not-fussy quilt made from sentimental fabrics. And your circle hand quilting is fantastic! That's an interesting exercise to go through old journals. The ups and downs of life!

Janie said...

Your quilts are beautiful, thanks for sharing!
The comfy quilt is the best kind, just what a quilt should be.

Shilpa said...

Beautiful.I wish I had these skills

Janet O. said...

Love that 36 patch! I am going to have to dig through my old quilt photos (pre-blog), because this makes me think of a quilt I made many years ago for a woman who helped my daughter with her kids each week at church. My SIL was in the bishopric, so he was sitting on the stand, of course, and their youngest son has severe disabilities, so he took most of her attention. This woman sat behind her every week and brought a bag of quiet toys to help occupy the other three children. If I find it, I'll send you a photo--they look like cousins! LOL
The quilting on your low-volume quilt is really giving it an attitude. :)

Nancy said...

My first thought when I saw your 36-patch quilt was that it looked like it had been made in a different time, and Anne of Green Gables era came to mind. Utterly charming, comfortable, and one to be cherished for years to come by whoever eventually owns it.
I love the quilting on your low volume quilt! It is beautiful -- both the quilt and the way you're quilting it are beautiful. What kind of batting have you used in it? It looks like it will be very cuddly and warm.

audrey said...

Lovey your comfy looking 36 patch quilt so much! Right up my alley how unpretentious it is.:) And your quilting on the low volume quilt is taking it to the next level for sure. Wow! Great texture coming along there!

I went through my diaries this year and threw them away. Just couldn't handle trying to edit them and the trips down memory lane were very emotionally draining overall. Best of luck to you! It's a big chore I'm sure but your family will probably greatly appreciate them.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your utility quilt was a great use of scraps. Love your low volume quilt, the quilting looks so nice! Happy stitching.

Kim said...

Oh, I love your 36 patch block quilt overspilling with all those little squares of sweet fabric! It looks beautiful on that fancy bed. Oh yes, to curl up on that bed, wrapped up in your beautiful quilt and read about Anne's and Diana's adventures in Anne of Green Gables would be the perfect way to spend a lazy afternoon.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Oh wow both of these quilts are gorgeous, in completely different ways. Both to add to my to-make list. What do you do to compile the journals? Are they handwritten journals, or do they include other bits like scrapbooks?

Quilter Kathy said...

Such a pretty 36 patch quilt! I made one once and I loved it, but I gave it away. Maybe time to make another one?!?!
Love the low volume quilting!

Denice Barker said...

Your scrappy quilt is perfect and that sweet pink sashing brings it all together. I'm now thinking seriously.....

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...