Saturday, September 19, 2020

It's only been 16 years


 While I was whining about not finding a toile fabric I was looking for and not feeling like doing anything with a needle. . . I happened upon this project that I started in 2004.  I joined four BOMs that year.  I also had both daughters get married with two wedding dresses, four bridesmaid dresses, my dress and tablecloths to make. I finished up three of the BOMs but this one got put into the netherworld of my basement.

I finished up the lower left block (Block #8) in the last few weeks and decided since the barn block looked so easy I would continue.  

I was then in a groove.  I did the embroidery and cut to size the previous six blocks for a total of nine finished.

I prepped the 10th block and am about 1/2 way done with it.

I honestly never thought I'd get back to this project.  I wasn't interested in it any more and there was too much left to do.  I figured it would be one of those projects my kids would find when I am gone and they wouldn't have a clue what to do with it.

Well, that has changed.  Now, I'm focused on getting it done.  I might even quilt it right away.

And I still can't find any toile.

Robin

10 comments:

Nancy said...

This looks like a really fun quilt, Robin! Love the cat on the right. And those little quilts -- are they printed or stitched? I'm eager to see the rest of the blocks with this quilt.

Janet O. said...

LOL--all things old are new again. So many hidden projects are coming to light during Covid restrictions. I think this is great, Robin!
Last night I pulled out another oldie--only 6 years old, but still fairly forgotten. :)

Sandy said...

What a great feeling to pull out an old forgotten ufo and finish it!
I had to laugh at your last sentence. How much toile do you need? Any specific color(s)?

Julierose said...

Toile is really really hard to find!! I love toile and try to grab any i see online...sometimes equilter has some...
Cute "neighborhood" project you are finishing up...enjoy;)))
hugs, Julierose

marina said...

what a lovely discovery and fantastic that you have rediscovered your enjoyment of it too.

Cathy said...

I know what you mean. Here's hoping you fin the toile and not another project to finish. Hugs

Quilting Babcia said...

Great project to have well on the way to a finish. It took nearly 16 years to finish hand quilting our marriage quilt. Some projects are like that but so satisfying when they're finally finished. Toiles are very difficult to find now, I guess they're out of favor these days.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Looks like you uncovered a gem of a UFO - so charming. I love the quilts within a quilt, especially the little barn quilt. And the giant cat on the roof - so charming!

Karen said...

I remember that design. Your interpretation of it is wonderful! It has waited a long time for its turn. Go for it!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Just love that curved quilting you are doing on your low volume quilt there a few posts back. This one today is such a great project...a wonderful one whose time has come to be finished. Always inspiring to me to visit you!

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...