Saturday, August 1, 2020

The baton has been passed

Just wanted to share a picture of a very happy granddaughter.  It was her 10th birthday last week and her mother wanted to get her a "real" sewing machine.  My granddaughter had a child's sewing machine that was really difficult to get to work but she determinedly would make little things.  There aren't many sewing machines to choose from right now.  I'm assuming it's because not as many have been made with the Covid situation and we've also had worldwide shipping bans.

I had my mother's little Singer Featherweight downstairs, 1946 model.  It hadn't been touched in over 20 years and probably more like 40 years.  But, my daughter took it in to a local lady who services Featherweights and for $55 my granddaughter got a 'real' machine that will last her a good long time.

Although my mother has been gone for 21 years I'm sure she's pleased to know a great granddaughter is gratefully receiving this legacy.

Robin

11 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh isn't that great!! Your granddaughter looks so thrilled and excited--a definite quilter in the making;)))
So wonderful to see a youngster excited about quilting...
Thanks for sharing--this picture made me smile...her smile is
so lovely...
Hugs from afar Julierose

Frog Quilter said...

Congratulations are in order. Another quilter is born.

Annie said...

What a lovely thing you have given your granddaughter; not just a wonderful sewing machine, but a new skill and interest! Thank you for your gifts to this lovely young woman!

Janet O. said...

She has a great little machine that will serve her well. That is so fun ! I sew on mine all the time.
Your granddaughter looks absolutely thrilled!

Karen said...

How exciting to have a young one interested in sewing. I wish her many happy sewing days to come.

Chookyblue...... said...

oh how precious.....I hope she realises how special it is........and has a wonderful time sewing on it......
do you follow the singer featherweight shop blog....they have heaps of helpful information.......

Rebecca said...

Oh my ....what a great gift to her and to you and to your Mother!!!!

Nancy said...

Your beautiful granddaughter looks so very happy with her new Featherweight. It will be a breeze for her to sew on, especially after the struggles of the machine she was using. And I'm sure your mom is smiling down from Heaven, knowing that the machine she loved will continued to be loved by her great-granddaughter.

moosecraft said...

Awesome! Beginning with the best too! Wishing her many happy stitches! :-)

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

This post gives me chills. What a special gift and look at that smile!

audrey said...

Loved reading through your post. Great to hear about younger ones wanting to keep up such a good tradition!

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...