Thursday, April 22, 2021

I'm finally finished!

Here is my "Glory" quilt all finished after four solid months of hand quilting.



This was a BOM in my quilt group - Bound Together.  We called it 'Block in the Spotlight'.  If you'll notice the center block of the outside squares are all the same pattern.  You chose what you wanted for the center block.  Some used Rail Fence, some used previously made applique blocks, some chose Log Cabin.  It was all up to you.  

Then each month we would hand out a different pattern for the border.  We did hearts, hourglass blocks, Storm At Sea, Stars etc.  We only did it for a year so there were 12 blocks.  I chose to put mine together with this center star from American Patchwork and Quilting called 'Shades of Spring' from April 2008.  And, I added the hexagons surrounding the star.


This picture is a little fuzzy but it shows some of the other blocks.  There are 16.



And this is the backing (upside down).  A beautiful piece of yardage from French General that I found on sale.  The quilt measures about 80" square.


As I was sorting through stacks in my sewing room I came across some fabric I had set aside a long time ago and the pattern for a little quilt above.  It is found in the book 'quick-method QUILTS' by Leisure Arts 1994.  It was my first quilt making book.



As you can see I'm using a much paler fabric than the original.  It is from the line "Patterns of History" by Barbara Brackman around 2004.  

Here is the Ice Cream Cone border all cut out and ready to assemble.  I got lots of yardage on a clearance sale and so I used the lavenders, blues, and greens to make the quilt below.  And I saved the pinks for later.


It won't take long to assemble it now and then I can start the hand quilting.  It will be a take-a-long project.



I got my 'Mayfair' quilt back from the machine quilter.  It is made from Valentine fabric by Deb Strain.  Since it is a Valentine theme I named it after my favorite See's chocolate.


I need to trim it and add the binding and then it will be done after sitting in the closet for a very long time.   I found the top fabric - 2 jelly rolls, on sale at Material Girls. It took quite a while to make all those HSTs.   


-pieced backing-

  Then I found the backing fabric from a newer line by Deb Stain on clearance.  So with all this reduced price fabric it would seem like I made a quilt quite inexpensively. . .

But no, the quilt is 85" X 93" and I took in in to be machine quilted.  

They did a very nice job and it's not sitting in the closet any more.  I took this top in to be machine quilted because I knew I would never get around to hand quilt it.  I took in another quilt to be machine quilted when I picked this one up this week.  That's two rather complicated quilts that I won't have to dread quilting so I can get to work on the fun ones.

I've decided I need to stop making such big quilts that take hours and days and months to quilt.  Or I need to save my money so I can have someone else do it - ha!

Robin

14 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

What a glorious finish! And your backing fabric is just wonderful. You really have a lot of super in-process projects too. Deciding which big quilts get that precious hand quilting time is a real dilemma, ideally we would have those old-fashioned quilting bees at home and invite all our hand quilting friends over for the day, but it seems most of us are the only hand quilters in our local groups.

Rebecca said...

My MIL swore that if anyone wanted a quilt it better be for a camp cot because she was done manhandling King or Queen size quilts...

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh my! I have enjoyed watching you progress in the hand quilting on this one and the finish is oh so exciting! I know quilting by checkbook is easier and quicker, but this is so beautiful!! I think I solved the problem for me by making lots of mini quilts in between the big ones. But, we also have to keep the longarmers in business right? You are brave to do an ice cream cone border. Looking forward to seeing that one pieced. I love See's candy too and I'm sure your quilt feels honored to be named after it. Enjoy the day!

Julierose said...

Just a gorgeous finish on this Robin--all the quilts pictured are so pretty.
I like your new low volume piece...
I have decided to make much smaller pieces also--no more "big bertha's" for me.
I am, though, finding it hard to use some blocks in a smaller setting without making the blocks themselves a lot smaller -- still working on it..
hugs, Julierose

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love your show and tell. Your work is beautiful- GLORY: oh, my! It's just that to behold. I'd love to know the name of the quilt pattern on the bed where you used the greens, blues and lilacs, it's great! You'll have a true beauty on your hands with that pink one with the IC Cone borders, it's going to be truly wonderful! Thanks for sharing~

Julie said...

Hello Robin - gosh your quilts are just SO beautiful but that Glory quilt - Oh My !!! Just stunning. What I would not give to be able to produce work like that. Thank You for your visit to my blog & the lovely comment you left me. I look forward to popping over here to visit with you. Julie xx

Kaja said...

Congratulations! What a fabulous finish and so satisfying to reach the end of hand quilting a really big quilt.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Your Glory quilt is... glorious! Congratulations on a wonderful finish after so many hours of hand stitching. It's just beautiful on the bed. I love the pink in the other quilts;). Icecream cone border - had never heard of that - it's very special.

audrey said...

What a great finish! Looks so good! And the backing fabric is just fantastic. You have a lot going on, but obviously making good progress!:)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Oh goodness, I'm loving all your hand quilting on your "glory" quilt! An heirloom for sure. And your "Mayfair" quilt is delightful, love all the pinks! And yes those HSTs would have taken ages to piece I'm sure. Would love to see a close up of the quilting.

Janet O. said...

"Glory" is a wonderful finish!
I love each of your projects, Robin, from the soft, low-volume to the bold pinks and reds with a sprinkling of green.
I can't believe how much you do accomplish with hand quilting, but agre that sometimes it is worth it to have someone machine quilt something for you.

Nancy said...

You have 3 beauties in this post, Robin. Glory is wonderful. It is such an accomplishment to hand quilt, even though it takes a while to finish. I think you finished quickly if it only took you four months!
Your pink quilt will be beautiful when finished. I love the fabrics you've chosen. Those pinks are so gentle and inviting.
I don't remember seeing Mayfair before. It's a striking quilt with all the half-square triangles. What a lot of time (and patience, commitment, determination) it must have taken to finish it. Sometimes I think decisions come down to choosing time or money. Do I have the time to do the job/work/whatever? Do I have the money to pay someone else to do it? But with quilting the other consideration is whether my hands/fingers will hold up to do it myself.
Wonderful quilts, Robin! Congrats on the finishes.

Chookyblue...... said...

I admire your hand quilting and it's a beautiful quilt...... Well-done
I send quilts out mostly to be quilted..... Your bright one is really lovely....

Chookyblue...... said...

Oh and I have an issue also making big quilts..... But they are so worth it......

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...