Friday, June 10, 2022

The Proxy Quilt




My sister's first great grandchild was born last month.  My sister has been gone almost two years and she would have been so happy to hold that sweet little girl.



She was a great gift giver, even when she couldn't really afford it.  The remembrance of an event had to be acknowledged .



So, when this baby was born I knew I needed to do something.  My sister had purchased this American Jane Crib quilt kit years ago when I was still quickly accumulating grandchildren from my five children. (After a five year hiatus the sixth has since added two.)  But, I never got around to making up this kit.

I decided that since my sister had picked out the quilt kit. . . I could make it up and then it would be like a gift from the baby's great grandmother.  I just put the label on this morning.  It says; "From Great Grandma Pamela Hatch".



 It doesn't photograph well but just imagine the bright American Jane crayon box colors.  I made it up just like the instructions but I had to unpick the sashing and put in something that calmed down the busyness.  The neutral is actually a very very light peach.

It was a fun project and I hope the new parents enjoy this quilt with their little bundle of joy.

Robin

8 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

This sweet quilt will surely become an heirloom now that the new parents know it came from great-grandmas fabric collection. It was sweet of you to remember her, and the new baby in this way.

Denice Barker said...

Your sister is smiling

Cathy said...

I love your quilt. It's like looking at a story book. Hugs

Michele McLaughlin said...

This is a beautiful quilt and such a beautiful idea!! What a lovely thing to do. Kudos and it is adorable!!!

Sandy said...

So sweet, and what a great way to honor your sister.

Nancy said...

Robin, I think this is one of the most fun quilts I have ever seen! It just draws me in and I want to look and look, gather in all the detail in those delightful scenes. Did you notice the several accidents happening and the surprise on the children's faces. It's almost like a storybook. There will be lots for mother and child to talk about (or mother to explain) in the images. Love, love, love it! (My grandchildren live on a farm and I can imagine that they've experienced and have memories of several of these things happening.)
I also love the connecting links it has between you, your sister, her great-granddaughter, and even to your sister's granddaughter/grandson who will use it to cover/wrap Baby.

Janet O. said...

This is precious, Robin--both the quilt, and the way you honored your sister by making this for her first great-grandchild. And you hand quilted it! You are amazing!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

This is just so poignant - it gave me chills. What a gift to both the baby and your sister's memory.

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...