Friday, November 4, 2022

Here you go


I realize Halloween is over but I'm continuing on by finishing these blocks.  I've done two in the last two weeks  Blocks 8 is on the left and Blocks 3 (which I am putting in the #9 spot) is on the right.  I only have two more blocks to go.


I know it isn't that noticeable in the pictures but the two seemingly identical black birds/ravens are done in four different black fabrics.


 

This one is done with a mottled black on the body and a stripe on the wing.


And this one is a script print on the body and a dotted piece on the wing.

I really enjoyed Gone2thebeach recent post.  You should go visit.  I love her cartwheel quilt.  I've seen a number of them this Halloween season.  I sure would like to make one with the lovely black background.  Yet another "wanna make quilt".


This is a table topper I started about 2003 and finally finished last year.  It has two of my blackbirds on top.  Yes, blackbirds are a staple at my house.


I put a quilt on my couch that has some autumn vibes to it.  I definitely need more fall themed decor.

I also put this falling leaves quilt on my kitchen table.  Don't worry, we take it off before we eat.


And speaking of falling leaves. . . I love it when we have a hard freeze which we did last night.  The English Walnut trees hold tight to their leaves until the temperatures plummet.



 And then they drop all their leaves at once.  It's like magic.

Robin

8 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

I just love each and every one of your crow blocks! So much detail in every one, looking forward to seeing your finished flimsy. It seems to say autumn rather than Halloween specifically. Your autumn decor is lovely, I especially love the quilt on your couch. Didn't know that about walnut trees, the hickory tree on our property takes several days to drop its leaves, a huge mess to clean up in early spring with all the nuts and their hulls along with leaves. I love that huge old tree, but glad its not in the front yard!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Robin, your house is all Autumned up now! Love the projects especially the black bird one you are working on now. That navy quilt on your couch is STUNNING! So is your Falling Leaves quilt (whew, glad it is off the table when you eat!). I love that you live with all your quilts around you! Sending hugs!

Denice Barker said...

I rearranged the crows in my quilt, too. One of the things I learned when working at a newspaper years ago was never to have a subject looking "off the page" meaning your people or creatures are positioned to look to the middle or facing each other, so yes, move them around so they are facing inward.

Cathy said...

Robin I adore your blackbird blocks. I too have a love for blackbirds. Your autumn inspired quilts are beautiful. This is my favorite time of year. Hugs

Nancy said...

Your blocks are gorgeous, Robin! One of the things I love is that a closer view of these blocks reveals another layer of interest because of the fabrics. The birds' beaks are so well-done--perfectly pointed and ready to peck or pick up!
Lizzie's cartwheel quilt is really special, isn't it? It would be fun to make one.
Your maple leaves are beautiful. The quilting really stands out on this little quilt.
It looks like you have plenty of autumn/October quilts to bring the outdoors in--at least the autumn colors of the outdoors. Your blackbirds sitting on the quilt are delightful.
I'll have to keep an eye out for English walnut trees around here. I know there are some because I've collected the hulls to make dye. I just never noticed how the leaves fall (probably because one isn't growing near enough for me to see it regularly).

Janet O. said...

Your crow blocks are just fantastic! Incredible work!
Your blackbirds appear very content atop your leafy table topper. I love the fall quilts draped about your home.
I have never noticed that fact about the English Walnut tree, but then I haven't really noticed the leaf dropping habits of any trees--not even in my yard. I just know that at some point there is a lot of raking to do. I do recall that growing up our Linden trees dropped their leaves at a different time than the maple trees in the yards around us--which just meant a longer stretch of raking. Leaves from both types of trees always drifted into neighboring yards.
Happy Fall!
BTW, I was on a fabric acquisition day trip with a friend on Friday and hit Corn Wagon Quilts and American Quilting, along with Quilters Attic in Bountiful. We were going to try and visit Village Dry Goods, too, but we took a long time perusing each shop, and having lunch. Village still closes at their earlier COVID-induced hour, so we missed out on them.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Your applique is perfect for this time of year! I really like your fabric selections including the earthy background. Nice idea to cover the couch with a quilt. Also nice to observe a particular tree across the seasons!

Kaja said...

I too love your birds. I have noticed that some subtleties that please the eye in real life (like your different black fabrics) don't photograph well, but it's real life that matters, in the end.

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...