Monday, January 16, 2023

More or less

 Still working on my hand quilting project.


I'm over half done with this 20" block and I've decided that the center block is the only one that is getting echo quilting.  This is just too time consuming.  I'll do cross-hatch on the rest which will still take months but maybe not 9 months like it would if I continued as I am.😟

I am experimenting with  a interesting new project.


Click here to find out more.  I explained it in more detail on the improv blog.

I'm making lima bean and ham soup today.  The ham bone is from Christmas.  The house smells delightful.  I made Gingerbread with lemon frosting last night,  It's been years since I made gingerbread.  It doesn't make me think of the holidays so much as warm cozy times. 

 (We had a light snow last night.)



I went to a funeral last Saturday.  That always makes me pause and reflect.  I now only have one uncle (out of eight) that is still around.   Sigh~

Robin

5 comments:

Janet O. said...

That quilting is amazing, but I totally get why you have decided to cross-hatch the other blocks.
I'll have to go read about your new project, but I can tell you right now, it appears to involve a lot of tricky seams!
My Mom loved to make beans with a smoked ham hock. It was a family favorite.
I have no uncles left--just the wives of my Dad's youngest brother and my Mom's youngest brother. What makes me pause about funerals these days is how much closer in age I am getting to these people who have passed on!!

Kaja said...

I'm sorry about your uncle. It makes me reflect on how we move so swiftly from the stage where people are getting married/having babies and so on to the one where mostly we go to funerals not weddings.
I think using the echo quilting in just the centre block is a clever idea. It will stand out beautifully but you won't have to spend the next 5 years repeating the effect in the rest of the quilt.

Michele McLaughlin said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Robin! Hugs!
I love the echo quilting you are doing and loved seeing the star you are putting together but 44 blades is a lot for one block! Still it looks pretty. I think the cross hatching for the flower piece would be a nice contrast against the echo quilting. Hoping you will have a great weekend!

Nancy said...

The quilting is beautiful, Robin, but I can imagine it took hours and hours. I think cross-hatch will be perfect on the other blocks.
Your star looks perfect. It has too many y-seams for me to consider a block like this but I can admire yours!
I'm so sorry about your uncle.

Quilting Babcia said...

Your echo quilting is exquisite but I can understand why you wouldn't want to spend an entire year on quilting that closely. Your idea of cross hatching the remaining blocks is a good compromise.

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...