Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Last quilt and next quilt

I finally finished my "Home is Where You Are" quilt.  It is based on something my husband said to me while we were in Wisconsin for 18 months.  I was feeling a little homesick and he wasn't feeling as sad as I thought he should.  I wanted someone to sympathize with me.

I asked him one day if he didn't sometimes miss home and the kids and long for familiar things.

He was surprised by my question and stopped what he was doing.  He thought for a few moments and then he said, "No, I'm fine because home is where you are and you're here.




I put a 50th Anniversary label on it because that anniversary is coming up.  Hard to believe.  


I washed it and it had no bleeding at all.  What a blessing.


I saw two quilts this fall that I just loved.  They were both Wagon Wheel - type quilts.  I was absolutely enamored by  the color combinations and the use of cheddar with a dark background.  I made a large wagon wheel quilt about 8 years ago and while I was in the process of making it I knew I wanted to make another one.

This is the only picture I could find in my history. 

I found this on Instagram.  I should have written down where I found it but I didn't.  If you know, or if this is you, please tell me so I can give you credit.  It's a really poor picture but you get the idea.  Isn't the black background great on that wagon wheel quilt?  I just found her - it's hatcreekquilts.

The next picture is from Gone 2 the Beach blog, your can read all about it here.



I know, it's a terrible picture too but if you go to Lizzy's blog you can read all about it and see a full picture.  The cheddar fabric just dazzles me.




So, I've had this on my mind for a while and I was thumbing through an old magazine of my MIL's because it was on my sewing table.  It's dated 1984 and has about 30 different quilts and basic patterns in it.




I found the pattern for this little quilt and I think it would be just perfect made in the colors I want.  It's pretty cute in red, white, and blue too.


I haven't decided on the background color or the sashing but it's sure at the top of the list of quilts I want to make right now.

The other pattern in that little magazine that I want to make has a bird border that is fabulous.  

That reminds me, is there anyone out there that has the Cousins Walk pattern that would like to sell it to me.  I LOVE THAT QUILT!

I've got a new/old quilt in the hoop.  It is my version of "Love Letters" by Blackbird Designs.  It's going to take a while to quilt but it's January.  A perfect time to devote to a time consuming project.  AND, sitting under all that quilt makes me warm in the cool living room.  Winter is a perfect time to sit under a quilt and sew. 



We were gifted with an amazing snow storm on Sunday.  We got about 10 inches of heavy good snow.



And today the sky was just fabulous  with it's cloud and sunlight patterns.


Who said January was dismal and gray?  Just look up.


Thanks for visiting,
Robin

5 comments:

Janet O. said...

I love the name of your house quilt! It is really sweet that your husband said that to you--even if you would have preferred commiseration! ;)
It is a beautiful quilt, Robin. I started a house quilt 2 or 3 years ago. Maybe this will inspire me to get crackin' on it.
So do I get the picture that you want to make that quilt from Patchwork Quilts, and use the black and cheddar somehow as you have shown in the two previous quilts? I think it will be very striking!
I am always in awe of the rate at which you accomplish hand quilting your projects. I think I need a different hoop. The one I have used for years has been stressing my back and shoulder for years, so I hardly ever do it. I like the one you have, but can't justify buying it when I don't plan to hand quilt large quilts again after I finish the one in the hoop right now.
Love your snow and sky photos. I don't think of January as dreary. I think of it as cozy. :)

Michele McLaughlin said...

Hi Robin! I don't have the pattern you want but I do want to say how inspiring your post is! I just love the story you shared about home is where you are! The quilt is amazing and what a blessing that the red didn't run! It's an amazing story and quilt and I just love it! Wishing you the best weekend ever! Hugs!

Sherrill said...

Love your home quilt and the quote from your hubby on it!! Red and white is always a fabulous combo for a quilt but potential bleeding can be worrisome..so glad yours didn't!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

That is just so sweet and touching, your husband's comment to you. What a great quilt too. Your new ideas look great too, and the quilt in your hoop. What a beautiful snow! I can just "hear" the quiet! Enjoy! Happy New Year!

Nancy said...

Robin, I love that story about your husband's response to your question. What a treasure. It certainly makes that beautiful quilt even more special.
Just a little detail: It looks like you have a pump organ. Is it a family piece and do you play?
Wagon Wheels have captured my attention these past couple of years. They look like they would be fun to make (though maybe harder than I imagine?).
Your quilt in the hoop is gorgeous! Lots of time making that one, and quilting it, too.
I'm so glad you got snow! Utah has been so dry for so long. Please tell me about that green/teal building in the second snow photo. A garden shed? It's a beautiful color!

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...