Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Stem replacement, new quilt on the frames, and rising sun blocks


Original block with red floral stems

I finished replacing the stems on this unusual block for the Roseville Quilt.  I actually like the look of the brown stems better.  I don't know why I didn't just make them brown to begin with - like all the rest of the blocks.  This took far longer than it needed to because of all the interruptions.  It took me days and days.  Now on to the tree I need to replace.  See here for the full story.


Block with replaced brown stems




I was able to put my "Grandma's Kitchen" quilt on the frames yesterday.  It's made from the "Farm girl Vintage" pattern.  I'm quilting it using a big stitch with crochet cotton #12.  I want to finish it for a Christmas gift.  I should have plenty of time.  Better picture below.







My friend had a quilt retreat at her house for three days last week.  I managed to put together this top with my hand-pieced rising sun blocks. (A LOT OF UNPICKING) I love the fabric for the sashing.  It is an American Jane fabric by Sandy Klop.  Now, on to the border that will have words in it.

I was trying to duplicate this quilt .



I used a line from 2002 by Deb Strain called Saltbox Farm.  The little wooly fabric was used for the cornerstones.

A good quilting friend lost her husband yesterday.  Her whole life will be different from now on.  She won't be able to keep up her big house and the acre of land by herself.  It makes me so sad and also reminds me I need to makes plans so I will be prepared if this happens to me someday.

Robin

7 comments:

audrey said...

Good for you! Sometimes a redo is really all that has to happen. It looks great to me!

Janet O. said...

I think the brown stems do create more dimensions.
Your Lori Holt quilt is very fun, Robin.
I think your replication of that quilt is spot on. So impressive!

Kaja said...

Though it's a shame you are having to replace all these red bits, I like the brown stems a lot. I also really, really like your suns- the colours are very appealing and they sit so nicely with the sashing.

dq said...

The quilt you replicated is a perfect likeness! I liked seeing Santa stitch.

I am sorry to hear of your friend's heartache. Any one of us can have a life changing event unexpectedly. In some ways we can prepare and in some ways we cannot.

Your applique' fabric choices are PERFECT!

Karen said...

In reading your post, I can see what you mean by an unusual block. That flower pot has protrusions all over. In real life, I could see a pot shaped like that having lots of broken off pieces. Does make an interesting block.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love your applique block, the brown stems look good. I too have that book with Santa stitching, love you version!

Nancy said...

I thought the red stems looked great -- until I saw the brown ones. You have a good eye, Robin, to see that the stems would be better in brown. Is it the contrast that makes them work so well? It is always sad and frustrating to me when I know that another color would look better AND I decided to make the change. So much time....

Your Grandma's Kitchen look bright and beautiful. And I love, love, love your Rising Sun quilt. You did a great job replicating the pattern.

Isn't it crazy how a photograph of a quilt can make it look so much longer? I almost always have to count the length and width.

I'm so sorry for your friend. It's hard to think of planning for a spouse's death. (Can you tell I haven't?)

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...