Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Quilting is my solace

I have thoroughly enjoyed working on the applique quilt on my frames. I love admiring the curves of stitches as I go along.  I like measuring how much progress I've made as I finish each early morning shift with needle and thread.  Some mornings I turn on the classical music station or listen to a lecture/talk on my Ipad.  But, other mornings I just want to unclutter my mind without any distractions.  Today was one of those days. 




I should have been cleaning house because I'm expecting out of town company this evening. 
But, it  just felt so calming to stitch and watch the pattern appear. 





Clip a length of thread,
nestle it through the needle's eye,
knot the thread and hide it between the lovely layers,
rock the needle up and down,
follow the design,
knot once more when at the end.
Repeat.






So soothing,
Robin

11 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

So soothing, and so lovely! I love the peace and solitude of quilting as well.

Susan said...

That is so pretty! I'm going to have to go backwards and follow it more, because I've only been looking at your SLOL, since I'm more than a year behind you on that one. =)

Sandy said...

Your quilting is beautiful ...

Janet O. said...

Oh, Robin, you make it sound so soothing. I just see all the quilting I have yet to do on the project that has been in my hoop for YEARS, and it stresses me!! For so long my shoulder prevented me from working on it, and now my back is giving me fits. I hesitate to even sit down to it, but when I do I feel so good about making any progress at all.
Your quilting is beautiful--and so are your quilts. Love seeing the results of your soothing time. :)

liz said...

Beautiful : )
Thank you for sharing

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Mesmerizing and gorgeous!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That sounds really peaceful and looks gorgeous!

Kaja said...

I couldn't put it any better. Lovely work, too.

Binsa said...

Enjoyed your posts Robin.I do epp and feel the same as you do

audrey said...

Yes to uncluttering our minds. I hear you loud and clear.:)

Nancy said...

Thank you for this post, Robin, and reminding me that I really do love to hand quilt. When I'm away from it for a while, or working on a quilt I want to be done with, I forget how peaceful it is to quilt by hand. Your quilting, your arches in the Baptist Fan, are perfectly beautiful. How did you mark the quilting lines?

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...