Monday, July 1, 2019

It's coming together

Blocks sewn together


Still plugging along with this quilt.  I finished the surround blocks and after much shifting and considering and changes, this is the configuration that my son and I figured out.  It's always hard to figure out where to put a block that you've made at random.  There are blocks that are together that have similar fabrics but this was the best set up.



Sashing?


I wondered if these blocks were too dark and might need some sashing strips between them.  I made some flying geese units to see how it would look.  I don't really like them for sashing.  They  interrupt the flow of the blocks and they look too small.



Flying geese stop border


I have some border fabric from this fabric line and I think the flying geese will do a great job of introducing the outer border.  That being said, I'm going to have to make a zillion flying geese because they only measure 3/4" X 1 1/2" finished.  (Whose idea was that anyway???)

I'm anxious to see the new set of blocks for the Cheddarback Quilt.  I keep checking but she hasn't posted yet.  Here is what I told Kaya when we were discussing that quilt;

I like this quilt.  It looks exactly like what it is, a "utility quilt".  I'm going to really enjoy using it when it's done.  It's a quilt I won't feel like I have to be careful with.  I'm not going to let my grandchildren jump on it but I will allow sitting.  It's funny how some quilts just give out a vibe. Some say "display only" or "come and admire me."  This one says, "use me up."

It's a lovely Monday.  My husband has brought in enough strawberries to make jam, enough raspberries to delight my grandchildren when they come (one of them mows our lawn every Monday), and a large bowl of peas that will go into the freezer.


Life is good,
Robin

11 comments:

Karen said...

I think your setting looks very good. A quilt in the making that would be very happy at my house. I like flying geese used in a quilt but what seems like such an innocent choice can take much time cutting and sewing to accomplish it. I look forward to seeing how it all pulls together.

Jeanne said...

Your red and green quilt is going to be gorgeous! I just took my first look at this month's Cheddarback -- we've got some challenges ahead of us there :)

audrey said...

That looks wonderful. It really is difficult to figure out a layout/setting arrangement when so many fabrics are repeated. This has a great balance though! Isn't it funny how we keep pushing to see if we can make a good quilt take even more of our time and energy!

Janet O. said...

This is beautiful, Robin. It really is an inviting quilt. Love the leave fabric in the center block.
I agree that the flying geese are better outside the blocks than between them. Yeah, who decided the flying geese should be so small? :)
Oh, those raspberries make my mouth water. Mine aren't red yet, but Mom's are just starting to produce.

Sandy said...

It looks great in your current layout. I agree about the geese.

Nancy said...

These blocks are beautiful surrounding the Currants block. I just love the red and green together. I wondered about a really narrow light sashing like the background of the Currants block to give the pieced blocks a little breathing room but I agree that the geese sashing doesn't work. I think the triangles in the geese conflict with the triangles in the pieced blocks. I know whatever you choose will be wonderful, Robin.

marina said...

What beautiful blocks! Love how the applique sits in the centre.
Good luck with all those flying geese, they will be amazing.
Beautiful raspberries, we have one bush and it puts fruit in spurts, enough to sneak them in the garden

Kaja said...

I like your setting and agree about the little geese, though I'm glad you are not discarding them entirely. I have been thinking about your words - I think those 'utility' quilts are my favourite sort.

Mary Marcotte said...

I love a quilt that says, "Use me up." Those are the kind of quilts I grew up with. For a long time I was a bit of a quilt snob, but I'm all grown up now. Making all those flying geese will require lots of patience, but you've come this far. You'll do it! The quilt deserves it, right?

dq said...

Oh yes indeed it is coming together! Stunning Stunning Stunning!

Susan said...

That quilt is beautiful, especially the center block. You have a bountiful yard. I think I got one handful of black raspberries, and this is the 7th year on the bushes, but most of the bushes died, so I'm lucky this one of six original plants is prolific - for the birds! LOL

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...