Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Little flowers finished



I finished appliqueing the little 6 1/2" flower blocks for the "Floral" Ad Hoc challenge.  They are based on a Cheri Payne flower that I enlarged and gave a different setting.   I got out all my big floral fabrics to audition for the alternating blocks.




Top is blue background Blessings by Brannock and Patek.
Bottom is light background "Coming Home" " Country Paths" by Brannock and Patek.




Top is Navy background "Fern Hill" by Jan Patek.
Botton is green backround "Blessings" by Brannock and Patek.




Top is "Harvest Home" by Brannock and Patek.
Bottom is "Madiera" by Blackbird Designs.




This is Black background "Blessings" by Brannock and Patek and I liked it the best.





This is where I am so far - it's not sewn together.  I have cut out green setting triangles.  I think it needs red next.

I love creating colorful projects but it is so disappointing when one of them bleeds.  Yes, it happened again!  I try to be so careful and pre-wash everything and I am very particular about the reds I use.  Well the red in the flower center with the black and green check stem/leaf is a bleeder.  I had some of this (chicken) fabric that I used in another quilt without a problem.  What I think happened is that my sister gave me a bunch of fabric and she had this chicken fabric too.  I neglected to wash this one - argh!  The bleeding is only noticeable on the back, it bled on to the backing and a little on to the green surrounding it.

Do I replace it?
Robin

7 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

If it is not visible in the front I would leave it in. Looking good!!!

Janet O. said...

I like that floral choice. You have a lot of beautiful florals in your stash.
Oh, bleeding is such a frustrating thing--especially when you have tried to be so careful.

Karen said...

Definitely a Cheri flower design. Looks very interesting when done with such a nice variety of fabric prints. I think I made something with that flower shape somewhere along the line.

Cathy said...

I love the flowers and your setting. Hugs

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Perfect choice and I love these little blocks!

Mystic Quilter said...

Robin I wouldn't worry at all, I can't see any problem in the flower block mentioned. I love the fabric used in the set in triangles, fits perfectly with your applique flower blocks, which are beautiful!

Nancy said...

I can hardly tell you how much I love these flowers, all in the same/similar colors with such a delightful variety of fabrics. This will be a wonderful quilt! I see now that this is the Cheri pattern I was thinking of. This just proves how adaptable her patterns are! The bleeding is not noticeable at all. Perhaps another wash with Dawn or the color collectors (I can't remember what they're called) will help (after the quilt's finished). A great choice for the alternate blocks, too.

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...