Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Hexies and Flying Geese and a finish and a new start

I read an article many years ago in the Reader's Digest.  It was called "The Positive Power of Procrastination".  I looked it up so I could give you a link but I guess it was too long ago - over 20 years.  

Anyway, it stated that when you are trying to avoid doing something, use that time to do something else, something positive/productive.

So, a few weeks ago I was trying very successfully to avoid working on the 240 flying geese units I needed to complete my blind man's fancy project and I decided to productively use that time to finish up this hexie project.


Ta Da!

I had no plans when I started this.  I just wanted to see what I could come up with.  It measures 55 1/2" X 53 1/2".  I'm going to use it as a table cloth.  I'm not sure how I'm going to quilt it but I don't have to think about that right now because I NEED TO GO SEW THE FLYING GEESE.



I sat down to my sewing machine this afternoon and made some good progress.  I only lack two more units on each of the 20 strips.  I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel.  Hopefully I can finish these up tomorrow and get them sewn around the quilt.  The next border should be much easier.




I finished the hand quilting on this quilt today.  I've been working on it since March.  It was supposed to be done in June and then July and now it's August.  At least it's done!  I found the fabric for the binding this morning and will soon get to work.  I'll take a picture when it's all done.


This is just the back frill of a flower.


I basted some arcs on 6 1/2" squares to start making some flower blocks for the newest floral challenge with Adhoc/Improv group.  I have one completed and 11 more to go.

Hope you're not too hot~
Robin

6 comments:

Janet O. said...

I'm so impressed, Robin. From the hexie project to the basted arcs, and everything in between--it is all amazing stuff. Since I am practically standing still with my projects, it is nice to see someone make so much progress.

Quilter Kathy said...

SO much wonderful progress on your projects... love the fan hand quilting!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I like that! I think most quilters I know must have read that article! After all, when we have a tough project looming over us, we simply start something new and channel all that positive procrastination! Thanks for sharing - it made me smile!

marina said...

I like that saying! sums me up perfectly lol
Love your hexie project looks fantastic. Well done on your quilting finish, can't wait to see the whole quilt it looks lovely.
Very interested to see what your improv blocks will look like to..
wish we had some of your heat, we are set for a grey rainy day!

Nancy said...

I love your finished hexie top, Robin! The striped border is a wonderful addition. Well done making use of your procrastination to finish it! I need to learn this lesson. When I procrastinate I don't usually get anything else done (other than maybe reading).
Look at your perfect points on those flying geese!
Congrats on finishing the hand quilting. It looks like a very thick batting. Is it wool?
Looking forward to seeing your ad hoc flower challenge.

Janie said...

Thanks for the tip on procrastination, yes, just fill that time with something else worth doing.
I like what Wendy said, 'We just start something new!'
Your work is beautiful.

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...