Saturday, November 30, 2019

Alice Jane Blue and Orange Marmalade

The good news on the homefront is that I found my stack of Hope's Journey FQs that I originally planned to use to make the Celebrating Mary Brown quilt.  It was pre-washed, pressed, and neatly stacked in my downstairs bedroom closet.  I had been looking for a stack of fat quarters, not a pile of regular fabric.  I couldn't find a stack of fat quarters anywhere - 😜

I'm kind of glad I couldn't find them at first because it made me think outside the box and use my Alice in Wonderland fabric. Also, trying to come up with blocks from way different fabric than the original and a different theme has made me stretch a little and it is a much more interesting project.

I was only able to get one block done on this quilt for the month of November but it was worth it.  I did block # 3.

Kinda crazy, I know.



The reason I have ORANGE MARMALADE on my block is because of a passage in the original Alice in Wonderland.  Alice has fallen down the rabbit hole and she is looking at everything around her;

     "Either the well was very deep, or she fell very slowly, for she had plenty of time as she went down to look about her and to wonder what was going to happen next.  First, she tried to look down and make out what she was coming to but it was too dark to see anything; then she looked at the side of the well, and noticed that they were filled with cupboards and book-shelves; . . .   She took down a jar from one of the shelves as she passed; it was labeled "ORANGE MARMALADE", but to her great disappointment it was empty: she did not like to drop the jar for fear of killing somebody, so managed to put it into one of the cupboards as she fell past it."


I found a picture of an old pot of Orange Marmalade dated 1862 Great Britain online and tried to copy the shape for my block.  Alice in Wonderland was first published November 26, 1865..

I did the lettering with a black micron pen and then embroidered over it with a single piece of applique thread for distinct but not bold letters.





Please check out the blocks of the others who are working on the Celebrating Mary Brown quilt or quilts of their own choice.

Karen at Log Cabin Quilter
Jennie at Over the hill and running 
Cathy at Big Lake Quilter
Julie at Julie K Quilts
Nanette at Do it right quilter
Jan gets posted on Nanette's blog
Rebecca at Quilting in a Polar Bear Garden
and someone new but I'll have to post her link later.

I made crockpot stuffing for our dinner Thursday.  I just used my regular recipe (no eggs) and put it in the crockpot on low.  It was moist  and crispy around the edges just like I like it.  I won't cook it for so long next time because it was a bit crusty on the bottom.  I think 2 hrs. would be perfect.  I usually stuff the turkey but we were invited to our Son and DILs and were assigned to bring stuffing.  It was a wonderful alternative.

I guess that's all.
Robin

4 comments:

Cathy said...

I love your block. The Orange Marmalade makes it very unique. Hugs

Karen said...

Oh how very unique your block is. Just wonderful and so outside the box. I look forward to the next one you do. Do you remember the details from the Alice In Wonderland book or are you looking for ideas from it to add to your blocks? It has been so many years since I saw the movie and cannot remember if I actually read the book. I feel like I did when I was young but do not remember everything from it.

Janet O. said...

I am fascinated on every block to see how you incorporate Alice and the fabrics into the project. So clever! I love that you even remember this much detail about Alice. Did you read it recently, or just have an amazing memory?

Kaja said...

I love your Orange Marmalade. Working with the Alice fabrics is proving to be a really creative decision - it's a lot of fun to see how you fit them into the project. I also really like the way you have used the pattern in your fabrics to enhance some of your flowers, especially the bottom purple one.

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...