Saturday, November 9, 2019

Cooking and Quilting

 This is the piece of apple pie (from the last post) that my husband cut for himself.  There really is a piece of pie under all that ice cream!



I finished my Zip a dee doo dah quilt finally.  The "big stitch" is a little bigger than I would like.  I need to work on that.




I just used random lengths of scraps for the binding and as it turns out all four corners got chicks on them.  It has been mailed to it's destination and I'm moving on.




I put this little quilt on the frames from the fabric line called "Sweet".  I made this years ago and there is always another quilt in the queue that pushes this one aside.




It shouldn't take me very long to quilt as it only has 12 squares.  I'm using Aurafil #12 white and taking little "Big Stitches" this time. I doing a small fan pattern in the borders and just SID in the blocks.  I'm not sure who is going to get this quilt when it is done but I have 2 people in mind.




I finished appliqueing the 20 blocks for my low volume quilt.  I was going to call it "Absence of Heat" but I've changed the name to "Mellow".




I cut all the circles  from the back of the applique and it gives me a whole stack of circles for another project - bonus!







I put all the blocks on my design floor and I think it needs some sashing.  What do you think?

Please click on the picture to enlarge and get a better feel for the fabrics.

It sure is a different mind set with such a subdued color scheme.  I'm used to lots of color and especially lots of contrast.




I've been burning my Apple Pumpkin candle almost every day and it got me in the mood for  Apple Butter Pumpkin pie, one of my favorites.



The filling was quite runny so I cooked it a little extra as you can tell by the picture.  But, the texture of the pie turned out perfect and it is yummy.

APPLE BUTTER PUMPKIN PIE

1 cup canned or mashed cooked pumpkin
1 cupt apple butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
3 slightly beaten eggs
1 6 oz can (2/3 cup) evaporated milk
1/3 cup milk  I just put in 1 cup of evaporated milk
1  9 in. unbaked pastry shell

Thoroughly combine pumpkin, apple butter, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon.  Blend in eggs, evaporated milk, and milk.  Turn into unbaked pastry shell.  Bake in 400 degree oven for 45 - 50 minutes or till knife inserted just off-center comes out clean.  Cool

From Better Homes & Gardens magazine November 1972

I've been playing Christmas music all week.  I love this pre-holiday time of year.
Robin

6 comments:

Janet O. said...

Are you sure there is pie under all that ice cream??? LOL
Congrats on your finish.
Your low volume quilt looks good to me the way it is, but if you do go with sashing I would lean toward a plain muslin. I admire that you stuck with this. I love the look of low volume quilts, but doubt I could stay away from color long enough to make one.
You are really in pie making mode. Never heard of a pie made with pumpkin AND apple butter. Hubby would probably love it, because he loves apple butter.
I have been making my soap for holiday gifting and my house smells like a cacophony of essential oils--from mint, cinnamon and clove, to cedar, orange and spruce--with several others thrown in the mix.
I love this time of year, too, Robin.

Karen said...

The rose print makes for a pretty border. I have something similar in my stash that I haven't thought of anything to do with it as of yet.
There is a very certain ratio of apple pie to ice-cream that I like. Too much ice-cream on the one shown but I can imagine every last bite tasted wonderful.

Cathy said...

So many great projects and some great food (pie) for thought. Hugs

Frog Quilter said...

I like the neutral quilt top as is. The secondary design is fabulous.

Nancy said...

I had to look hard to see the pie under the ice cream. LOL. The pie and ice cream make me think of calories and pounds and weight gain. Your husband probably works hard physically and can eat that without gaining an ounce.
Your Zip a dee doo dah quilt looks so fun. I'm sure the recipient will love it lots.
Mellow is just beautiful. I can imagine it with sashing if it's in the light/medium range. I'm thinking of the pink you used for the Cheddarback sashing. I could not imagine a bright or dark sashing because I think it would spoil the mood of the quilt. But you will know what's best. Your color sense is so great, Robin.
I added instrumental Christmas music to my Pandora mix the other day and decided it was still just a little too early. I want to enjoy the Thanksgiving season first this year.

Kaja said...

There's a man who likes his ice cream! All your quilts - finishes and WIPS- look so good; you are definitely on a roll.

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...