Monday, April 13, 2020

Blocks #3 and #4 of the Flowers Quilt



 I have finished 4 blocks for the Flowers quilt by Linda Brannock.  I am using my fabric scraps and trying to come up with blocks that sorta go together.  The Morning Glory block above should have had a lighter blue but this is what I ended up using.  And, the centers should probably have been yellow but that didn't look right either.

This quilt seems to really have a mind of it's own and it is displayed very well in the Cockscomb block below.




I used a gold fabric for the flowers that never seems to go with anything else.  It looked good with the green I had picked out and then I needed something that would match but also stand on it's own for the hearts.  I found this fabric by Minick & Simpson with embroidery on it.





Here are the four blocks together. (The jury is out.)  I need to repeat that pink from the dots and flower center in the 2nd block.  Maybe the 6th block, that will go under the cockscombs,  can use some pink somewhere.  I know once I get the HST sashing done it won't look as disjointed but it's hard to imagine at this point.

Can I just say, these are unusual flowers!  Just you wait, I'm doing the Bromeliad next.  The center of this plant below looks more like the block than any other picture I have found but the foliage is a lot different.






The menfolk are out in the cool weather  (39 degrees outside) and sunshine chipping and shredding.   I will be so grateful to see the big pile of prunings that has been under the apricot tree since last fall - gone.





I'm so anxious to see life get back to normal.  Probably no more that all those who have to work on the front lines and those who can't work at all.  My son above still has a job but things have slowed down to a halt so he's earning some money around here.

Today I'm going to try and catch up on the 'Beyond Baskets' SAL or BOM from Temecula Quilt Co.  It only has 12 blocks and 2 are sent each month.  I have five completed and so I'm  one behind.   I will probably get the next two in a week.

Stay busy for your peace of mind,
Stay safe for your health,
Robin

5 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh I like your Morning Glories a lot--nice work on all these blocks.
We are having 42 mph winds right now and it's just a matter of time before the
power goes out--trees downed everywhere...made a cuppa tea before we lose power
Stay safe Julierose

Karen said...

I see that you made it through the morning glory stitching and the flowers look quite good. I remember that, as you also did, having a bit of a challenge with those center shapes.

Nancy said...

You're making such speedy progress on these flower blocks, Robin, and they all look so great! I remember spending hours and hours choosing fabric, cutting, preparing, and stitching -- and here you've finished four in a month. Good for you!

I think your blue glories look fine. I know you think the color is a little dark but honestly, these flower patterns are so quirky that using the exact color might odd.

Thanks for posting the link to "It Is Well with My Soul" the other day. I enjoyed listening though didn't take time to leave a comment.

Is your apricot tree(s) okay after blooming and then being covered with snow?

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I love the blocks and the colors are so pretty and just perfect for this quilt. I think this one is going on my list! Hugs

audrey said...

Your blocks are looking fantastic! Good to see things getting tidied up outside too. Ours is getting a bit of attention these days too and amazingly enough our garage is almost totally organized! Wowsers! First time since we moved in over 10 years ago!:)

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...