Wednesday, April 29, 2020

I finished the pineapple block - twice

I don't know why the pictures are so dark - this is with a flash


I finished the pineapple block that I mentioned in my previous post.  It turned out so pretty.  I love the fabrics and the way the foliage wraps around it.  I decided to replace the cacti block that goes under the morning glories with the pineapple because it was so tall.  But, the measurements for the pineapple block just weren't quite right.  No problem, I'd just adjust the sashing when I put it all together.

So, I pinned it up on the design board and . . .  it's too big.

It's not in proportion with the other blocks.  It just grabs you by the throat and demands to be looked at.

I was quite discouraged.  I have been working on this project as my sanity project during this stay-at-home time and to have it not work out was more than I could cope with right now.  I decided to take a sabbatical.  I put everything away; the pattern, the fabric, the blocks, all of it went in the downstairs closet.  I turned off the light, I shut the door.

Well, I lasted two days and during that time I considered different options because I couldn't get it out of my head.  Monday I decided to get out the pineapple block from the pattern and try to adapt it to the size I need.

The results are below.





I have to admit two things.  It is a much better size for the rest of the quilt and I really really like the other foliage better.  But, for the size block I needed to cut, the spread-out foliage was a must to fill the space.





And this is how it looks with the rest of the blocks.  Much better.

I've already prepped the next block, the marigolds, so I'm pressing forward.

No Celebrating Mary Brown progress whatsoever.




You can skip the rest of the post if you're not eager to hear more virus news.

I just found out my sister has gone in to be tested for the virus, she has the symptoms.  There are 3 people in my life that I hoped could be spared from getting this disease because of their underlying problems.  She is one of them.  She's not gasping for breath at this point so that is positive.

What a "Alice in Wonderland" experience this whole thing is.  Nothing is like you expect, the days all blend together, and just when you think you might find a way out of the maze something else happens and blocks your exit.
Robin

4 comments:

Nancy said...

So, that smaller pineapple really wanted to be made soon! It looks great, Robin. Well done on adapting it to the smaller size. I like the original leaves better, too, but I still think this version looks great.

Oh, your poor sister. I hope they are able to rush the test through to learn whether she has it. Is she in the at-risk category because of age or other physical conditions? A doctor working in NYC wrote an article about pneumonia and how different it is in covid patients compared to people without covid. He said that sometimes, by the time the patients came into the hospital, even though their breathing seemed okay their oxygen levels were extremely low. They were compensating for the low oxygen by breathing more deeply and faster. He recommended testing oxygen levels at home with a pulse oximeter. You can read the article here: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/opinion/sunday/coronavirus-testing-pneumonia.html.

Karen said...

I hope for the best outcome with your sister. I don't know anyone who has been sick at all and for that, I am glad.

Your pineapple blocks both look good but I do agree, the second one is more fitting to go along with the other flower blocks.

Barb said...

I'm sorry to hear about your sister and hope she recovers quickly.
Your pineapple rework looks great. I always tell students, patterns are a suggestion and someone else's idea. It is okay and even encouraged to have your own ideas.
Great job and lovely applique'

Ann said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister and hope she recovers soon. Interesting to see how you changed the pineapple block. I hope the first one will make a pillow or another quilt.

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...