Thursday, April 2, 2020

The Children's Corner Quilt



I decided to start a new quilt just to pass the time.  It is gentle applique for the most part.  I just wanted something that I didn't have to concentrate hard on, just a little relaxing stitching.  It is the Flowers quilt by Linda Brannock.

We have been "Sheltering in Place" for over 2 weeks now.  We don't have a lockdown order but we have been asked to stay home except for essentials.  It breaks my heart to hear about the hardship and sorrow that other's are going through in other parts of the country.

We are all coping the best way we know how;  I stitch, my SIL does some deep cleaning, a friend reads and reads, my husband is looking forward to some consistent good weather so he can garden. another friend spends her day checking in on everybody else by text, and my son and DIL are making their Halloween costumes.


Sorry this is kind of dark

I finished my Cheddarback quilt below.  And so, I had space on my design wall (Cheddarback was up there for over a year) to put my Alice Jane Blue (AKA Celebrating Mary Brown) blocks all together.  It's a little unconventional, I think.  I don't like the color of the map block.  It just doesn't go with the rest of the blocks.  I bought some different map fabric and am going to replace the original.






I decided early on that I wanted to make the quilt the same size as the original so I didn't add any extra sections.  I kind of like that quirky little row of 5" blocks on the bottom.

I didn't have any blue sprig material like the original to put between the sections of the quilt around the outside.  But I did have some pink that I like a lot.  I ended up putting it around the lily block in the center because I used too light of a background and it looked so washed out.

As I mentioned before I had this on the design wall for over a year and one day my youngest daughter was examining it.  She said, "this quilt reminds me of Debussy's The Children's Corner.  (She is a musician).  It is a quilt that should be on a child's bed.

 Isn't it interesting how we all see the same thing and interpret it from different perspectives?

You can listen  to The Children's Corner HERE

So now the  name of this quilt is The Children's Corner.





We got a late April Fool's joke over night.




It snowed and this is my apricot tree with blossoms all over it.




The poor daffodils along the fence are hanging their heads.  But, they are hearty, unlike the apricot blossoms and will recover just fine.




We brought some inside yesterday to brighten the room.





Stay safe,
Robin

8 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh I've played The Children's Corner Suite ;)))--loved the Serenade for the Doll best...and The Snow is Dancing --such a charming group of pieces.

I spent a good amount of time free cutting blades for my monthly Dresden this afternoon.(RSC April--light blues). I managed to get 3 small circles sewn..very improv...and relaxing to make...
I have no idea where they will go as yet, but right now they are up on my wall...looking very
Springlike--unlike the windy and raw weather we are having here today...

Your Cheddarback is so lovely...what a beautiful finish...

Stay safe ~ ~ ~ waving again (I'm gonna have strong arm muscles hahaha) Julierose

Cathy said...

I love all your projects. I made the Flowers quilt 2 years ago and it's nice to see your blocks. I love your fabric choices for Mary Brown. I hope to finish my Cheddarback quilt this weekend. Hugs

Rebecca in AK said...

Congratulations on finishing your Cheddarback top! I hope start on mine when I get my granddaughters quilts finished. Seeing yours really makes me want to start on it now! Love the new applique project, fun flowers. Your Alice Jane Blue blocks are looking good! I really like the pocket watch you put in the last one. Stay safe and take care!

Jeanne said...

Your Cheddarback/Children's Corner is lovely -- congratulations on the finish! Stay safe :)

Janet O. said...

Your Chedarback/Children's Corner looks wonderful! Congrats on finishing it up. Are you hand quilting this, or is that a silly question?
Honestly, in the photo I don't see the map block as standing out.
I had to laugh about the son and DIL making Halloween costumes. Nothing like being prepared!!
Also, those flowers do not look like anything I could do without having to concentrate hard. :)
You do beautiful work, Robin!

Sandy said...

Congratulations on your Children 's Corner/Cheddarback quilt. It's truly lovely!

audrey said...

I always love to see applique, but your cheddarback quilt is so incredibly lovely! That gorgeous pink was the perfect choice for the sashing. What a great look to this one. Love it!:)

Kaja said...

What a beautiful finish. I especially like the pink you have used for some of the sashing. I love that your daughter makes links between what she sees and the music she knows - that's a cool connection.

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...