Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Switching the pineapple block



I found this book by Linda Brannock.  It's called Miss Jump's Memories.  Anyway, I loved this pineapple on the front cover.  In fact, the pineapple block is the reason I bought the book.  There is a pineapple block in the Flowers quilt I am working on by Linda Brannock.  So I thought I would switch them and then I could use this delightful block pattern.




I finished two more blocks for this quilt.  So I am about halfway done with the blocks.


Excuse the threads


I made the Bromeliad Block.  The picture doesn't do this block justice.  The fabric used in the outside leaves sparkles and looks like Christmas lights.  It isn't metallic, it's just the play of the colors and printing.  The middle part is supposed to have dots too but nothing looked good so I left it blank.  And the block is not crooked, it's the photography.




I also made the Bluebells Block.  Again my blue is a little dark but it's what I had and it goes with the rest of the color scheme.

The following pictures are a little dark - sorry about that.




I've been thinking about the other blocks.  I'm not sold on the cacti block - I'll have to make a decision on that soon.  But, in the meantime, the book at the first of my post has other flower blocks in it and I'm considering using one of them instead.  There is the block above I love with that chintz pitcher/vase.




I think this is supposed to be a poinsettia.





I love this grouping.  I'm leaning toward using the one on the far right but the middle one would add some more blue to the quilt.





This one kind of makes me laugh.  It supposed to be a Gladiola.

I'm also considering making this quilt a little larger but adding more of the flower blocks.  But that all depends on how much I want to finish up this quilt and start something new.  You know how that goes, I'm sure.

 I need to prep the pineapple block today and then get busy. 

I'm having fun,
Robin


6 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh what lovely blocks!! So inspiring to see your beautiful work on these. and, Oh that gladiola block made me smile--I love the bent over leaves--mine always look like that after any rain storm...my Grand-mere's garden always had a big backdrop of gladioli...I love their multi-flowered stalks...
you do such wonderful applique-I am so totally envious of your prowess....
~ ~ ~ waving wearing my winter togs--it's sooooo cooooold here Julierose

Karen said...

I think that is the pineapple design I used to make a pineapple quilt. I will have to look in the quilt cabinetsfor it.

audrey said...

That really is a fantastic pineapple block. I almost bought the book years ago just from the cover too! All your blocks look so good. Really moving along with them!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I have that pattern! ON THE LIST for XXXXXX. Hugs. Love your colors!

Nancy said...

You are making this quilt so fast, Robin, you'll have it finished next week! Your blocks look great! I love your substitute pineapple block pattern -- much better than the original.
I think your bromeliad looks great. The center fabric has enough interest that you don't need the circles. (Though I have to wonder if the fabric you used on the side circles would look good in the center, too.)
Linda certainly has a style that's different from other applique pattern-makers, doesn't she? Had I had this book I might have changed out some of the flower blocks, too. There were a few that didn't really strike my fancy. Good for you to change the ones you don't like to ones you do!

Luiz Gomes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...