Saturday, October 24, 2020

Another lap around town


I'm continuing to make progress on the All Around The Town quilt top.  I've got the sun and all the sunbeams pined and ready to sew down.  I had to make some alterations because 16 years ago (when I first started this project) I trimmed my first block (the whale block) too small.  So I had to cut the block opposite it longer. 

 I appliqued the longer block but it wasn't lying flat so I need to fix that.  A little more unpicking. . . 

I appliqued all 12 stars.  It was a little tricky because I had a big surface to wrestle with in order to stitch them down.  The quilt top measures about 50" square so far.  There are two borders.



The stars haven't been pressed in these pictures.  I was in a hurry.




I'm making progress on the Christmas quilt I started this week.  (Sorry, no pictures.)  I've been color testing all the red fabrics and have a lot I can't use.  One piece still kept darkly staining the 'Color Catcher' after 3 washings.  I finally gave up on that one. It was a piece of quilting fabric by SSI.  Most of the poor fabric has been the red with white pindots.  I've chosen to work on the Santa Block first and almost have his lo-o-o-ong hat finished.

And we got a hard freeze two night ago.  Snow is expected in the mountains tonight.  In order for the dahlia blossoms to survive the low temps, my husband brought them in.  They make a lovely fall bouquet.  We've never grown dahlias before.   They appear to make a long lasting cut flower, so many times the other blooms I bring in only last a day.



 Hope you're able to sew today and most importantly, I hope you can hug someone.

Robin

7 comments:

Janet O. said...

Your progress is amazing to me, Robin. I love the look of that sun. There is so much detail in these blocks. What a great finish this will be.
The Dahlias are beautiful. The colors are so intense. My MIL used to have them in a front flower bed. Can you leave them in the ground in your area? I know we can't--which is why I don't grow them. I tried Cannas once, but didn't get them out of the ground before the frost. I figure I can plant--it is the digging up with which I struggle.

Julierose said...

Oh now appliqueing on a 50" piece--ohmygoodness--that is difficult and slow work!! Your sun is looking great...I don't know how you are wrestling this one around to do the applique...
I am pinning my two dolly quilt minis and will have them ready for quilting by Monday I hope...
hugs, julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

The dahlias are beautiful. We've had several hard freezes and all except the mums are now in the house, hoping to winter over. Hubby took the mums into the garage tonight. Hopefully we'll have them for porch decoration another week or two, before we begin cutting Christmas greens - yikes!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

The sun and its rays - that's really effective. It's really fun to see how this quilt is progressing and I'm so curious to see an overall photo sometime.

Chookyblue...... said...

lucky to save the dahlias.......the flowers are so pretty

Karen said...

Snow! Pack up and head my way.

Good to see your progress on the Town quilt. I don't like wrestling with large pieces of fabric to do applique on. Just have to bite the bullet and work through it. The reds bleeding can be a problem. I noticed just a few minutes ago that a block I was taking a picture of has a fair size red area from a red bleeding. Funny though. It is just showing on the back of the block.

Nancy said...

This is going to be such a fabulous quilt, Robin. I'm so glad you got it out again and are finishing it. I find it hard to applique on large pieces, too. Wrestling with the quilt is a good way to describe it, with all the twists and turns around stars. Maybe the sun's rays will be a little easier since they are straight lines.
Oh, those reds. They are so unpredictable. I have 3 pieces of dark red/maroon/burgundy fabric that I washed and dried just to be sure they wouldn't bleed onto the lights that will be beside them. I'm so sorry you have so many reds you can't use. Can you just keep washing them until they don't bleed?
Your dahlias are beautiful. Such vivid colors.

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...