Saturday, October 17, 2020

It's time for another Christmas Quilt

 I woke up this morning with a mission.  I decided to find all my stashes of Christmas fabric and compile them, pre-shrink them, press them, and get them in an organized container.




After I got out a big and little box, a grocery sack, and an under-the-bed box full of scraps and yardage I remembered I had a stack of Basic Grey fabric that I was saving for a Christmas project.




And then I remembered this yardage below (15 yds.) that I bought in 2002 when I first started quilting in earnest.    Whew!  I had no idea at that time how much yardage was needed to make a quilt so the more the merrier.




I sorted out all the Debbie Mumm Christmas fabric and then I sorted it into color piles of red, green, gold, and backgrounds.  I also tossed out some of the pieces with a lower thread count (there were only two) and some ugly pieces.  How do they always sneak in there?

And then I found two pieces of Whimsical snowman fabric inside a book (?).  Where else have I got it stashed?

I'm leaning toward making the 'Comfort and Joy' pattern below.  I've been hanging on to this pattern for quite a while.



It is such a cute pattern.  And, it isn't completely applique so it will go together a little faster.


I also want to work on the Cheri Payne Christmas quilt.  I only have one block made.  It looks like it needs a partridge in this pear block.  I think I'll work on one of the Santa blocks next.




I've almost completed the last block for the 'All Around Town' Quilt.  I just need to do the grass, pathway and roof.  Then I can assemble it.  I still have the sun and rays in the middle of the quilt top and 5 cars  to applique around the edge.  I hate to stop working on it to do a Christmas quilt but I won't put it away.  I'll work on it a little in- between the holiday stuff. 




I've been working on the Blitzen Stars quilt.  The full quilt is pictured at the right.  I'm almost 3/4 of the way through.  It is easy to work on.  




I've begun washing the fabric stacks.  I'm not sure how to wash this red stack and check for bleeding at the same time.  There are a lot of old fabrics here and it was bought for crafts not for quilts so I know there are pieces that are NOT colorfast.  I think I will just pick out the pieces I want for each block and test them a few at a time.  The logistics of trying to do this all at once gives me a headache.  




Also, I found the piece of fabric below in one of the boxes.  I didn't buy it, my sister did.  And, I don't think I'll ever use it.  It is called Dysfunctional Family by Michael Miller, I think.  And I was going to offer to give it away but now I can't find it.  Good Grief!



 I know I won't get a Christmas quilt done by Christmas but it will make me happy while I am working on it.  That's what it's all about, anyway.

Robin

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Put all that fabric in a net bag and put it trough the wash machine with color catchers. Should make it safe.

Julierose said...

Great Christmas fabrics in your stash! Debbie Mum always makes me nostalgic and happy...I am still working on Halloween Starry Eyed Jack...I always seem to be a day late and a dollar short...ya know?
Hugs julierose

Karen said...

You are on a mission with all that Christmas fabric. I wish you luck in your endeavor to use it up. Fabric has a way of growing when you aren't looking. I made the Comfort and Joy quilt a few years ago. Enjoyable sew. That pattern is no longer available that I can find but was a popular design at the time.

Marie said...

It's never a bad time to begin a Christmas quilt - I could make them year round, and sometimes I do! You've got a terrific selection of fabrics and I think they'd be perfect for your pattern.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

You have a lot of fun Christmas fabric and nice projects for it. Good plan for the iffy reds. I just adore your All Around Town blocks!

Janet O. said...

Oh, my goodness, you have Christmas fabric tucked EVERYWHERE--even in books? LOL
I applaud your ambition. I have a Christmas quilt I want to make this year, too, but I haven't quilted any of the three Christmas tops I have--from years ago. What business do I have starting another? ;)

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...