Saturday, October 10, 2020

Just random thoughts and pictures


Still working on All Around Town by Sue Garman.  It needs to be pressed but it gives an idea of what it will look like.  The next block has a blue house with 13 windows (those windows  - sigh), with a flag on top of the roof.

I going to have to change those trees at the top left that look like hearts - too weird.


My SIL, who decorates for Halloween big time, gave me this little witch.  She is fully articulated and is  only about 2" tall.  Too cute.


I made a baked chocolate cream pie last week.  The above picture shows how it came out of the oven - ha!  The picture below is after about 15 minutes.  The filling has chopped pecans in it and I expected it to be more like a brownie in a pie crust but it was smooth and silky like a pudding filling.  So delicious!



I made a batch of Chili Sauce this week.  It took all day to boil down and then I found out it was to salty.  It's going to take a while to use it.  When will I ever learn. . . (isn't that a song?)



And just for a bit of nostalgia, here is picture of my younger brother and his friend selling punch in the 1960's.  Notice the deluxe stand with all it's crepe paper.  The crepe paper was wrapped around the cardboard and then decorated with twisted streamers and fringe.  And 2 cents - what a bargain.



 My brother is the one in the front with the cheesy grin.

Enjoy your day,

Robin

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When things are too salty the old cookbooks tell you to put in a potato and it will absorb the salt.

Dotti

moosecraft said...

Great progress on All Around Town! That little witch is so cute....you've found a perfect spot for her! Vintage pics are so much fun to look at and reminisce... life was so much simpler back then.... :-)

Nancy said...

I just love this quilt, Robin! It's bright and happy and full of interesting things to look at. I wouldn't worry about those trees that, when upside-down, look like hearts. No one will see them unless they're looking at the whole quilt laid out. And maybe the 13 windows will go fast because they're not too big? I really admire you for tackling this. It will be such a delightful quilt when it's finished!
What a sweet witch. She looks very un-witch-like, don't you think?
That's a fun photo of your brother. I love to look at old photos.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

For me this quilt is always a treat to see. So many amazing details that you have handled with ease...more windows won't be a problem, I'm sure. I don't suppose there is a link for the recipe for chocolate pie...Tony is a true chocolate lover and this is something he would love. How clever of your brother to have the entrepreneurial skills at such a young age...looks pleased as punch! LOL

Karen said...

All those little windows would take some time and patience but oh so worth the end product.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

That is such a fun old photo - and, your chocolate pie looks and sounds divine!

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...