Friday, March 12, 2021

What I've learned this past year

 I absolutely loved the post on Spiral's blog this morning.  You can just feel the joy in her written word as she describes things coming together after a long long year.

I don't really feel like 2020 was necessarily wasted here at my house.  I feel like I learned a lot about myself.  And I've accepted things about my personality that I've tried to fix or remove in the past.  I'm more focused on the things that are important in the long run.  I've stopped anxiously making my house ready for that unexpected visitor (that never came last year).  It is so freeing - is that a word?





I also accomplished a lot toward organizing my boxes and boxes of family history that I inherited when my mother died 22 years ago.  It was a mammoth project but luckily I had a whole year to devote to it.  I'm in the process of writing a short biography of my mother (just 10 pages) and then I can box it all up for the next generation.  And, they will be in a lot better shape than I was when they go through it because most of the pictures are LABELED.

I have also compiled and transcribed all my journals so they are all in one (well, three) notebook.

The only thing I have left is one box to go through, sort it in 6 piles for my 6 children, and pass it on.



I've tried to use the time to learn, to improve, to be a good companion to my husband.  I'm not perfect, (that's still going to take some work) but I've tried to be better.  I've learned more about him too because we've had the same schedule day after day.  He's still interesting, annoying, and wonderful.




I'm a little anxious to go out into the world again.  I'm an introvert by nature, so going out in crowds has never been one of my favorite things.  But, I think I'll find more things to appreciate, more smiles, more laughter, more freedom, more variety, more hope.  I think I'll even cherish the sad, the dirty, the uncomfortable because it means we're together.

What have you learned this past year while you had to stay home?

Robin

As I went through my pictures from last year to find a few to put in this post. . . they are almost all just quilting pictures.  There are not very many pictures of people, 5 maybe.  I think that's really telling of what the year was like.

11 comments:

audrey said...

So much to love about your post today. Congrats on working through so much of your mammoth project. What a relief to have that behind you! I too have felt more introspective this past year. Definitely been working on a few things personally myself.:)

Jeanne said...

This is wonderful! Your cup is half-full! Sending hugs and smiles!!!

Jeanne said...

P.S. I do the "keep ready for non-existent visitors" also :)

Frog Quilter said...

Love your finish. 2020 has been your year of handling needed items.

Janet O. said...

I really enjoyed your thoughts on the year past, Robin. You have had some great ways to use your time, and it seems you have learned much from introspection as well. I am so impressed (and jealous) with what you have done with your journals and family history collections.
I did sit with Mom last summer before her memory left her and had her tell me who was in the photos in one album and one box I found that were all unlabeled. She was pretty thorough about labeling photos so it surprised me to find these. I also have been going through boxes of my father-in-law's things to find notes and stories he has left in random places that we could add to the history he wrote about 15 years before he died. I've also been scouring the boxes of his ephemera looking for photos and documents to illustrate and enhance it.
I laughed at your statement about your hubby. Mine is quite a loner and he hasn't noticed anything different about life during the pandemic--he would have stayed home anyway. He has been working afternoons at home, and I guess that has been a transition for me to get used to having him around more, since he retires later this year. We haven't killed each other yet, so I guess that is a good thing. It is also good that we have had this easing into him being home. I realize I was pretty comfortable having the house to myself during the day.:)

O'Quilts said...

This is a nice post. First thing I did once isolated was to make amends. There were about five people that I spoke poorly to or showed anger when my husband died or was dying. So I sent them all emails apologizing. Whew...That felt good. I also, accepted myself the way I am and that is it. No more wishing I could be like others. Now, I am doing a bit of purging of my clutter...all of a sudden, somethings are not all that important any more...xoxo

Nancy said...

I don't think 2020 was wasted for me, either. I'm an introvert, too, and the thing I've learned, something I just realized after going to church these past two weeks, is that I love being alone and now I find it hard to be with people again -- well, people who are not family. When things go back to something close to normal I'll have to overcome that feeling.
It's so wonderful you were able to transcribe your journals and sort all the photos. I'd been working on family history pretty diligently until last year when I sort of took a break. I was told I need to get back to it, so I am. It takes time!
Your Flowers quilt looks great! It makes me want to dig mine out and finish it. I have some unstitching and resewing to do because I tried to make it bigger from the inside out. I think I'll add a border like you have.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

It has been a challenging year for sure. You have accomplished so much and what you have learned will carry with you for a long time. I think what I have missed most is being with my family. I have a very large family and to go a whole year without gathering is very hard for us all. We are beginning to see the light at the end of this dark tunnel. We have been fortunate as quilters to share our ups and downs and special projects with other quilters. Thanks for sharing your quilts and your thoughts.

Kaja said...

What a great post. 2020 taught me to focus on what I can do, rather than fret about what I can't. There were things I really missed but they are not the things I would have guessed at and there were also lots of bonuses, so not a wasted year at all.

Michele McLaughlin said...

It sounds like you really made the best of a tough year! I wish I had gotten things more organized but I found it freeing to just let things slide (especially with my husband's junk!). I love your quilt top! Have a lovely day!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Oh what a wonderful post! I too have learned a lot about myself. I too am an introvert. I spent my year learning and being more comfortable making art, and clearing out the basement. I haven't been cleaning as much as usual, which is nice that I didn't have to worry about cleaning for others. It is my hope that I can abandon the guilt that goes with not having a clean house when someone drops by unexpectedly. I have been more aware of other people's decisions - to wear a mask, to take the vaccine, to vote one way or another - and am worried that I have become less accepting than I was in the past.

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...