Wednesday, December 13, 2023

It's time to start another Christmas Quilt

I think I have a "thing" for Christmas quilts.  

I have an idea for a new quilt for one of my sons.  I having a hard time finding the right fabric for the background of the center so I'm at a standstill.  

To give you an example of why I've think I might need intervention  (HA!)  I've put all of my Christmas quilts in one post.  From the first to the last one in the process of being quilted.

 These are in no particular order and some of them aren't obviously Christmasy but I use them at Christmas time. 



                                   
 This one is from 2022. The "Home Is Where You Are" quilt.  Inspired by the Edyta Sitar book called Patches of Blue.




                       A combination of two patterns, one by Debbie Mumm Santa quilt from 1995.




            A cute table topper made in the early part of the century.  2007  Original Design




    The 12 Rows of Christmas Quilt. Finished 2017  I changed a lot of things from the original pattern
                            



   
 This is reminiscent of the quilt by Alex Anderson that had Christmas lights in the border. 2004
                                                                             


                        Made from the Blackbird Designs book  Quilting in the Garden.  2017



               My snowflake quilt from 2007 that is appliqued and beaded.  Original design.


Comfort & Joy made from my collection of Christmas scraps from the 80's and 90's.  2021
 



A quilt made from Judie Rothermel's first Christmas line called The Spirit of Christmas.  
I made this in 2021 and I bought the fabric from Ye Olde Schoolhouse Quilts in Wisconsin.
Pattern from a Betsy Chutchian quilt book and the center is from Barbara Brackman's blog.



                                                     This is a Swell 16 quilt made in 2020 
               The pattern is by Camille Roskelley and the fabric line is Blitzen by Basic Grey.
                                 I was able to get the snowmen from the same line for the backing.





Jan Patek's Sleigh Bells quilt.  It was made in 2019.  I call this one Midwinter's Eve.



This was a little quilt that I made for a family drawing.  The pattern is by Blackbird Designs.   The embroidery patterns are by Gain Pan  2009


                                 
                           This is a mini quilt by Cheri  Payne.  Free online at QuiltsbyCheri 




                            A little tiny tree.  Pattern free at Temecula Quilt Co online.  2020




      Santa wall hanging.  Pattern by Nancy Halvorsen.  Finished 2022  I made two of these.




Christmas star commemorating the conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn  December 15, 2020
Pattern by Cheri Payne (the original pattern has a heart in the middle).


 The Flowers are by Cheri Payne 
                                  I enlarged the flowers and added borders, swags, and bows.  
                                                      I am still in the quilting process.

Most of these quilts have been gifted.   
I still own only two of the large quilts but I have all of the little ones.  

(I originally wrote this post last August.  I got caught up in finishing a bunch of things, I made 2 flannel quilts for my youngest grandsons,  Christmas gifts, and canning season.  I'm going to finish up the flower quilt before I get busy on the next one.)

Merry Christmas  
Robin

I just remembered two more.


This was a challenge my DIL and I did.  She was given free-reign in her Aunt Mary's room full of fabric and she came home with 11 Christmas vest panels from Daisy Kingdom (and a bunch of other stuff.  We decided to challenge each other to make a quilt out of five vest panels.  

We were allowed to add two fabrics.  I added the red fabric and the white with blue snowflakes.

If you enlarge the picture you'll notice I used the picture of the vest in five of the blocks, the words on the panel, and I even cut up the instructions to make the border.  

It was a fun challenge.



I've shown this quilt before.  It's a sampler quilt that I made in 1992.  It was my first real quilt.

10 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

These are all gorgeous so yes i'd say make more!

Julierose said...

Your Christmas quilts are so lovely--so varied, too. Nice work on these;)))
I especially like the Cheri Payne flowers one--really pretty...
Thanks for sharing your lovely works hugs, Julierose

Linda said...

Oh my goodness I love all of them! I would have a hard time giving away any of them - lol! I particularly love your 2004 quilt with the trees in the center and that gorgeous snowflake quilt, but they are all so attractive to me.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Oh man, you have me so inspired and now I want to make another Christmas quilt! Do you mind if I share the link to this blog post on my blog? What a wonderful assortment and variety. You are the queen of Christmas Quilts!

Quilting Babcia said...

I love your Christmas quilts! It's nice to have some that convey the season without screaming Christmas, so they can stay out on display throughout the winter. We have several too, and some already given away, also a couple sets of placemats and runners. They're my major form of holiday decorating now that we don't do a tree anymore. Thanks for sharing your collection!

Quilting Babcia said...

Love your Christmas quilt collection! It's one of the best parts of decorating for the season.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Wow, what a treat to see all these lovely quilts! I recognized the designers and was glad to see a Cheri Payne in there too. I'm a member of the Facebook group. All beautiful and what keepsakes they will be for your family, Robin!

Mystic Quilter said...

Robin, you have an amazing collection of Christmas quilts, all so different and all a joy to see. I have never made one but would love to have one on the wall for Christmas 2024.

CathieJ said...

It looks like you love Christmas as much as I do, but I only have two small quilted Christmas wall hangings. I love all of your Christmas quilts, but especially the Santas! All I can say is WOW!

Nancy said...

Wow, you have made a lot of Christmas quilts! I was going to tell you which was/were my favorite(s) but there are too many! I do really like the Cheri Payne log cabin block with the star. It looks like I'm looking through a corridor, or a skylight, or walking up stairs to get to the window....

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...