Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Post Christmas thoughts and pictures

 Well, I did start another Christmas quilt, at least the fabric is from a Christmas line.  I don't know how Christmasy it will look when I finish.  



The fabric line is Blitzen by BasicGray.  It is more snowman than Christmas.


'
I can't seem to get my blog margins in sync this morning.  I apologize if things are off. . . 

The blocks are from Jen Kingwell called Glitter.  I'm using the leftovers from a quilt I made a few years ago.  I just thought I'd make up these blocks using the fabric until it was used up.  But, after making two of the Glitter blocks using templates and marking the seam allowance, I knew I'd never make it through using just this block for the whole quilt.  So I decided to make a center and surround it with various other borders and blocks.

The center I just finished measures 28 3/8" X 14 1/4".  It's an odd size for sure.

I'm trying to decide which fabric I want for the next border.  I also need to figure out what size the borders need to be so that I can just make regular sized blocks for the outside; 
3 inch or four inch or six inch etc.  There's always so many decisions to make when a regular pattern isn't used - sigh.

I also want to share a picture of my niece.  She is the mother of six children with the youngest being two years old.  This is how my brother found her yesterday (Christmas Day) afternoon in the living room.




I think we've all been there on Christmas afternoon - ha!

Robin

5 comments:

Linda said...

I love the Glitter pattern, and the fabric line is wonderful! I look forward to seeing what you do with it.
I can't imagine making a full quilt out of many of Jen's patterns using a template. I made exactly one Wensleydale block before I decided to buy the templates, but I haven't made any since. It's on my list though!
Six children - wow! No wonder she is sacked out - lol - bless her heart.

Janet O. said...

Those glitter blocks look really challenging to me. But a wonderful effect! You have me really curious to see where you go next with this.
Your niece earned that rest, I'm sure. I remember one Christmas never getting to bed at all, trying to get all of my plans completed before the kids woke up. No more!

Nancy said...

Your Glitter blocks look great -- I love the reds and greens together. The block looks like it has inset seams, something I stay away from unless it's for a quilting-along (like Cheddarback), in which case I would have tackled it. I admire you for making these. It seems like using them as a border would be a good solution to not having to make so many.
Choosing is one of the big challenges for me, especially, as you say, if not following a pattern. You have a good eye, though, and I think your quilt will be beautiful.
Your dear niece! That photo so resonates with me. I hope she got good rest.
I hope your Christmas was wonderful and that you have a great New Year!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh my goodness - a super, super photo of your niece!!! With six children it's no wonder she's flat on the floor.I've looked at the Glitter pattern many times but wondered about all the pieces in one block and knew, like yourself, that I could never take on a full quilt. Your idea of sewing up just a few blocks and setting them as a centre is perfect.

Denice Barker said...

I hope he put a blanket over her!

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...