Thursday, January 4, 2024

If I didn't do so much unsewing . . .

 I would sure have a lot more done.

I can see why beginning sewers get so discouraged.  I have unpicked the pinwheel blocks so many times!

But, seasoned sewers know that there are going to be mistakes and they look bad and amateurish if you leave them in or they haunt you every time you see your quit.

So, we unpick them and try to make it right. 

But, I have to admit, after having sewed since I was 12 and quilted for 30 years. . .      I STILL CUT OFF POINTS AND IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!


Here is the center for the quilt I have been working on (previous post).  The light colored rectangles looked empty so I fussy cut snowman heads and added them.  I decided on just a plain first border.  I needed somewhere to rest my eyes because the Glitter blocks can be so busy.

You'll notice the borders aren't the same width.  I did that on purpose so I can surround it with 4.5" blocks.  



Then came the pinwheel border.  I really like how it turned out but I've been working on the pinwheels  a lot and as I said before. . . unpicking is necessary but it sure take a lot of time.  

Next came an easy border.  It repeats the snowmen and also the aqua color of the first border.



This looks so bad!  GASP!  The photograph doesn't show how bright the fabrics are.  It just looks like a jumble of blocks and actually it's quite cute.  I'm sure it doesn't help that the photos are taken inside on a snowy day.  (Did I say how grateful I am for any snow at this point?)

Now that it is done the quilt measures 36.5" X 48.5"  I realized that instead of making a whole bunch of 4.5" blocks (hourglass, 4-patch, or 16-patch with 1.5" squares) I could make 12" blocks and things might move along more quickly.  

Hmmmmmmmm!  I'll have to give that some more thought.

I bought a fat quarter stack of "Blitzen" in 2013 and even though I have already made one quilt, I still have a lot of fabric left over so my options are wide.  My goal is to use up all the fabric I have left.



My daughter and I put the Santa Fe quilt on the frames.  It is a donation quilt and so I am just going to tie it.  My grandson really liked it and I'll take that as good news because I was trying to make something more masculine.  It does have some butterfly scraps in it but I don't think there are any florals.



My husband is unwinding all the lights he wrapped around this tree.  He bought a sound system this year that continuously played about 8 songs and the lights kept time to the music.  It is snowing outside but it melts before it hits the ground.  All I can say is that at least we're getting some moisture and I'm grateful for that. 


One of my geraniums is blooming.  You can see some of the sifting snow outside the window.

Hope you're year is starting out bright.

Robin

6 comments:

Julierose said...

Your Snowmen look so cute in those blocks, Robin;)))

As for "unpicking"--welcome to my world!! I hate when points get lost...you are much more diligent about correcting those than I am, though...

I hope you are enjoying quilting on your big frame once again...

I am resting through this weekend now-- as my hands/arms are so sore from all that Decluttering!! I think it would've been better to just re-visit and re-fold my fabric piles!! That is what I will do next...
Somehow I always seem to "fall off" any "challenge wagon" I am on!!

Hugs--hoping for snow here, too Julierose

cityquilter grace said...

very cute little quilt...glitter blocks are on my try list...

Mystic Quilter said...

Robin, your quilt is just perfect! A good idea to make use of the snowmen heads to fill in on the rectangles. Taking photos showing the true colours of the fabrics in the quilt is a nightmare sometimes- I have just the same problem and take ages to try and get a good photo. I found that taking mine outside and draping them on the bench seat under a tree worked beautifully, inside I really had problems! I do love the colour of your geranium, a favourite plant at our house!

Linda said...

LOVE your quilt - the colors, the pattern, the borders - everything! That donation quilt does look perfectly masculine. Do you use embroidery floss to tie? Pretty geranium!

Denice Barker said...

The quilt looks very cute and fussy cutting those snowman heads was just the trick. As for unpicking....well my husband said he is amazed at the language quilters use sometimes.

Nancy said...

Pinwheels are such a challenge. I think I tried them once.... You're looks fabulous, but so sorry they required unsewing.
I didn't notice the different widths of the borders until you mentioned it. I think it's a very fun quilt. The glitter blocks seem perfect to go with the snowmen and the whole winter theme. I'm looking forward to your next round.
Your Santa Fe quilt looks complicated, but looking closely I see that the blocks are simple ones and it's the setting that makes the difference. It will be a great quilt for a man!
I'm so glad you're getting snow. I awoke to about an inch, but it will be gone in a day or two.
It's amazing that your geraniums are blooming. They're beautiful.

Not much sewing around here

The time for getting new flooring is almost here.   This is my tiny living room that no longer has that carpet on the floor.  My husband tor...