Friday, January 12, 2024

The things we do. . .

 I finished the "Build-a-quilt" top this morning.  I brought it upstairs, put it on the floor in the living room and started to put the 4-patches around it so I could get a good color placement before I started sewing.

It looked horrible!  It was so busy that it just looked like mud.

So, I auditioned some fabric for another border and added a few of the 4-patches to the corners and Voila!


It is 44" X 56".  My oldest daughter came this morning and I showed it to her.  She thought it was terrific.  Of course she would~ 

She ended up taking it home with her. She liked all the busy-ness.

 I was trying to use up the fabric "Blitzen" from the quilt I made her a couple of years ago.  I wasn't successful with using it all up though. . . 



This is what I still have left over.  That snowman piece measures 3 yds. so it might become a backing.



And I still have 253 4-patches leftover.  I will probably work on that next.  Good Grief!


I usually gather all the empty spools I've used during the year and take a picture.  It's for my own satisfaction, it makes me feel like I'm making  progress.  It's not as many as last year but it's a good showing.



I haven't joined the Declutter 2024 with Karen Brown but I've been watching her videos.  I have gone through my patterns and the lid fits on the box now.  I also went through the patterns I have on the computer and deleted about 1/3 of them.  It feels good to declutter.

I'm going to go through my two shelves of books next.

Robin

5 comments:

Julierose said...

Great that your daughter was thrilled to take your quilt home with her...

I am not all that happy with the two [Heather Ross] quilts for my grandgirls; but, everyone who has commented thinks that the girls will love the fabrics--they are just SO OUT Of my usual mode.[What was I thinking?]
I sewed one of the quilt's blocks all together today before this cold really took hold...ugh!! Will be hoping to kick it over the weekend...
hugs, Julierose

Linda said...

Love the build-a-quilt! I had to smile at your daughter taking it home, what a good feeling that is, right? I have pieces of Blitzen left also, and I swear it grows when I use it. Great idea to photo your empty spools!

Juliann in WA said...

I am saving thread spools this year. I need to check out that declutter challenge. Always need to declutter!

Quilting Babcia said...

I love your quilt too, or should I say your daughter's quilt lol! Decluttering has taken over my sewing room this month, attempting to make are sense of the huge pile of scraps occupying one corner of the room. Cutting everything usable into strips or squares with a category for "chunks" larger than 6-1/2 inch block but smaller than a fat quarter. It's taking forever but that's the only way any of them will get used.

Nancy said...

I think your build-a-quilt is delightful, Robin. Busy, yes, but up close there are lots of interesting things to see and examine. I'm so glad your daughter loved it and took it home to finish.
The snowman fabric would be a great backing for a children's quilt, and just about the right size, too.
Would your 253 4-patches be enough to make a small quilt with a wide border?
You used a lot of thread this year! I usually pitch the plastic ones and save the wooden spools.
I really need to declutter. The room where I sew is looking worse than the last time I took photos, and I was too embarrassed to post those photos. People are welcome to our home but I don't want them near the room where I saw. The door gets closed! I'm so unmotivated.

Not much sewing around here

The time for getting new flooring is almost here.   This is my tiny living room that no longer has that carpet on the floor.  My husband tor...