Saturday, January 20, 2024

Next Bramble Blooms prompt


Our next prompt was to take some idea from the middle section and use it to applique something on an  outside border.  Perhaps adding a coping border as well.


So I got everything out this morning and trimmed the center to 20" square.  
It was 20" X 22 1/8", an odd size.



A friend of mine bought these units (I think they are a basket liners to put warm rolls in) at a local linens shop for 50 cents each or something.  She had had them for a while and in a declutter moment handed them all to me (9 with pink borders and 6 blue with borders) and said you'll know what to do with these.  

That was about 10 years ago at least.  I was musing over what I could create for the next border.  I had a background fabric in mind and "POOF" the idea came to me to use these well aged machine appliques on my next border.




So I pre-shrunk the units.  They came out great and just needed a little ironing.

I cut out the appliques using circle templates.   I wanted to repeat the circle shape that is behind the hollyhock blossoms in the center.   I had to cut into the blue flower - sigh!



Then I auditioned them for placement.  I really like the way it looks.  I don't think I'll be able to use the blue applique at all  

I'm not sure yet how wide to make the border or whether to add cornerstones or not.  The prompt suggests we put quarter square units as cornerstones but I'm not sure the straight edges will go with all the curves.  

More decisions to be made.



 And evidently my DH thinks this is the right amount of whipping cream for his pie!!!!!

Robin

7 comments:

Julierose said...

Great idea for those appliqued borders...
that is a whole lot of whipping cream...I assume the pie is just an excuse to eat the cream hahaha....hugs,Julierose

Hubblebird said...

I like the idea of appliqueing the embroidered motifs into your border. If you haven't caught up with Arne and Carlos on You Tube, you might want to have a look at what Arne is doing with recycled embroidered linens that he has thrifted. He is making hexagons out of the motifs and putting them together in a quilt. A mammoth task. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Quilting Babcia said...

Pure genius there, remembering those vintage applique pieces and putting them to creative use. Maybe your cornerstone blocks could be cut with curved "triangles" or have a smaller circle appliqued in the center to repeat the curvy theme. Seems the whipped cream always disappears before the pie slice, but your hubby may have that problem solved lol!

Linda said...

What a lovely use for those pretty appliques, they look beautiful! I bought a Christmas basket liner in the same shape with pretty appliques on each end at a thrift store years ago. It had some light stains in the center, and the stains seemed to get worse each year. So this year I cut off the ends like you did and will try to use them in a Christmas project.

Linda said...

I forgot to say, my husband likes his pie the same way! I have that same pie dish - it's my favorite :)

Nancy said...

What a great idea to use the appliques on the basket liners, Robin! The colors are just right for your hollyhocks. Maybe, instead of QST squares for the corners you could use the larger flower circles? Or maybe you could applique one of the circles over the QST corners? Or not.... The tiny buttons in the star centers look just right.

At our house we call that having a little pie with your whipped cream. ;-) I have to make another pumpkin pie soon.

audrey said...

Great use of the basket liners! Gonna be very sweet looking! Love the way inspiration comes to us sometimes.:)

Not much sewing around here

The time for getting new flooring is almost here.   This is my tiny living room that no longer has that carpet on the floor.  My husband tor...