Thursday, December 21, 2023

Winter Solstice - The shortest day

 Today is the 72nd birthday of my favorite cousin.  He has fought his way through life, having a less than ideal raising, not doing well in school, and only later discovering he is exceedingly intelligent and because of the Navy he finally gained his sense of self worth.  He has a memory like a safe and is constantly studying.  I call him my "Other Brother" because he keeps track of me and my family like a brother would. 

 


Here we are in 1967, he's the one on the right next to me in orange.  He looks like such a baby.  Life had some rewarding times in store for him.  He is now in poor health but he still reaches out and makes sure we are safe and well.  He's kind of adopted my oldest son and family.  He and his wife have no grandchildren of their own and so my oldest son's children benefit from their generosity and love.

Happy Birthday to one of my absolute favorite people!!!!

The valley is finally clearing up from a dreadful inversion.  Enjoy the sunrise this morning.




From my home to yours and whatever holiday you celebrate, I hope you'll have family around you and will reach out to those who don't.

Robin



6 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

lovely post and pretty tree! you are blessed to have close loved ones..

Quilting Babcia said...

Lovely post and your home looks so warm and inviting for Christmas! Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Janet O. said...

What a sweet post, Robin. (I have to say, were we ever really that young?)
Gorgeous sunrise photos.
Your tree is so fun, and your festive quilts really enhance the holiday feel!
I hope you have a lovely Christmas!

Nancy said...

Happy Birthday to your cousin. He was a handsome young man. So glad he discovered his intelligence as well as his self-worth.
The room with your Christmas tree looks very festive.

Linda said...

Such a great post about your cousin - sounds like he has a core of goodness and strength. Your photo looks similar to many of ours - I recognize the hairdos and the dresses! :D Your tree looks so pretty - Merry Christmas!

Heidee Lindsey said...

I loved seeing that photo of you! I knew which one was you before you even told us! Is that your sister in the middle?

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...