Friday, August 23, 2019

Ahh! A finished quilt

Lilac Breeze


I finished quilting this quilt by Jan Patek and Alma Allen.  The pattern is called Baskets, Berries, and Leaves.  I couldn't find a link for this pattern, I'm not sure it's still available.  I call the quilt Lilac Breeze because of the fabric line I used to make it (Lilac Hill) and the thing I like best about lilacs is the wonderful scent wafting in the air.




I used Barb Vedder's baptist fan template for the quilting.  I like it because you can mark two units at a time.  You can find out more about it here.  I bought the large single fan.




This quilt took me five months to hand quilt.  I was expecting to get it done sooner but hand quilting is something you can't hurry if you want it to look nice.  Sometimes my hand would go numb if I quilted too long at a stretch or didn't allow myself some days off once in a while.




It's a big quilt measuring 103 1/2" X 84 1/2"  I need to put the bedskirt on this bed so you can't see the aqua colored mattress - Ha!  Feels good to have it all finished.

I had my youngest daughter pick out some quilts so I could share the wealth so to speak.  I have far too many quilts on shelves and in closets.  She ended up taking the quilt that is usually on this guest bed.  I guess she knew I had another one almost ready.  It's funny how things turn out.




I put a toile border around this little challenge quilt but I think it still needs some more red.  I pinned that red strip up to see if that is the answer but I don't think a solid stripe will work.  I could do some HSTs or a checkerboard or applique on the toile.  Who knows?

 I'm going to ponder on this for a while because I need to catch up on the Cheddarback quilt here and my house desperately needs some attention.  I think I'll start out by cleaning the refrigerator.

Hope your day has a needle and thread in it.
Robin


9 comments:

Rose Marie said...

Oh my .... a beautiful quilt! What a treasure you now have!

Barb said...

congratulations on finishing your beautiful quilt! I love your colors the fan quilting looks really great. THanks for sharing the link. Love that toile' border too - another great quilt design.

marina said...

What a beautiful finish! Well done on the hand quilting.
Very pretty little quilt too, love the toile border. Good luck deciding how to add some more red.
Fun And games




Little Penpen said...

How beautiful!!!

Janet O. said...

Simply gorgeous, Robin--and I love the name! When the lilac bushes are blooming along two sides of our yard, I love to have my windows open and catch the scent on the breeze!
Lucky daughter to have her pick of your quilts. My girls get what they get--and not much of it is hand quilted. :)
I have tops piling up, but not finished quilts.

Karen said...

I thought I saw Baskets, Berries, and Leaves pattern set on Jan Patek's website recently but I do not see it now. I am so happy to see that you used a light background for the blocks. I have had the pattern set for a long time and kept thinking I needed to use something similar to what was shown. But then, I never found anything to make me happy. I finally decided recently to give up that thought and maybe go with a lighter background. You made a beautiful quilt.

Nancy said...

Oh, what a beauty your finished quilt is, Robin! The appliques are wonderful and I like the background fabrics you chose. I also enjoyed seeing how you added a wide border. Love it all!
Lucky your daughter to get to choose a quilt.
I also like your little flower quilt. The flowers remind me of a Cheri pattern that she created for Mother's Day a bunch of years ago. What if you put the red border next to the dark green setting triangles? In my imagination the red and green would look great together but my imagination plays tricks on me when it comes to colors. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next with this quilt with these sweet flowers.

Jeanne said...

Oh, this is just lovely! Congratulations on a wonderful finish!

Kaja said...

Congratulations on your beautiful finish! It looks just perfect on the bed too.

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...