Thursday, September 5, 2019

Quilting this time of year



I've been working steadily on the Wheel of Fortune quilt.  I'm using the big stitch and it's going fast.  I am into the 3rd week of working on it and I should be 3/4 done by the end of the week.  The last quilt took me 5 months to stitch and it's so refreshing to be sewing on something that is progressing faster.




I am rather late to the low-volume party but I thought I'd give it a try.  I made 20 of these circle pieces and am now hand appliqueing them to the backgrounds.  It is such a quiet and soothing project because of the light colors.  My working title for the quilt is "Absence of Heat".




Although we are still having very summer-like temps (98 yesterday) the garden has moved on to fall.







These are the Thompson Seedless grapes that I make into raisins.  They are not ready yet.




Roses this time of year always remind me of one of my favorite poems about  fall by

EMILY DICKINSON   NATURE LXXIX

The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry’s cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.

The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old fashioned,
I’ll put a trinket on.




This is asparagus.  It always looks so decorative this time of year.




The Anaheim peppers are  producing more than we can use.




The concords are ripening fast.  I love the smell. . .



And one of the sad parts of this time of year, my lilac bush.  It gets so hot toward the end of summer that the moisture in the leaves is sucked out faster than the roots can replace it.

I have a houseful of company/family that have moved here from Kansas and are looking for a permanent place to stay.  They thought they had a house all set up but the landlord rented it to someone else.  They cook for themselves because they are restricted diets and so they don't require much.

Hope you have a wonderful day,
Robin

4 comments:

Julierose said...

Do you quilt in a hoop? I never have; am about ready to begin Snowballs. I love your low volume piece--so soothing..nice relaxing stitching on that I am sure...hugs, Julierose

Jennie in GA said...

Your garden looks much better than ours. It is about burned up by this time of year. We are still getting a few tomatoes and peppers. Love the low volume quilt. You are right, it is very restful.

Janet O. said...

Your Wheel of Fortune is such an inviting quilt. That is incredible speed on the quilting. Wish I could get the hang of the big stitch.
Love the name of your low volume quilt. That is a party I have not joined. I figured if I can never seem to finish a 2 color quilt without throwing in other colors, what would I do to a low volume quilt? They are very soothing to look at--wish I had it in me.
Your garden is doing so well--I hardly planted anything this year--peppers, cukes, tomatoes, carrots and some cantaloupe. We have a couple of small berry patches, but have neglected them this year to care for Mom's larger, and better producing patch. Making jam today.
Great poem--an ode to the roses in the fall. Mine are doing better this year when I have neglected them sorely than they have when I lavish them with attention. Lesson learned. :)
Aren't the restricted diets fun? When my family are all together we have to exclude so many things--gluten, soy, dairy, meat, MSG, coconut, avocado, bananas, peanuts and pecans. Some people do just bring their own food.

Nancy said...

I love your low volume block, Robin! It will be a beautiful quilt. I've been trying to decide what to work on next, what kind and color of quilt I want to make. Lights and naturals came to mind but without any specific ideas. I made "Sunday Morning" when the pattern was first published in -- I can't remember which book. I loved it at first, then didn't like it much, then when my daughter asked if she could take it home with her I was pleased to move it on. When we visited her last week she had it on the bed we slept in and I loved its lightness all over again but I was a little bored with the strings. And now I see your quilt and I'm having more ideas of possibilities. I can't wait to see more of your blocks, Robin!

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...