Friday, September 6, 2019

This is for Julie


I had to go back to 2007 to find a picture that showed the whole frame, not just the quilt that was on it.  The Grace frame uses ratchets to move the quilt forward to quit as you go.  My husband drilled holes in a wooden disc and holes in the side piece that holds the poles.  I use a metal piece (called a ring pin) to put through the hole in the disc and the permanent hole in the side piece.  You'll notice I'm only using two of the three poles. I prefer layering the quilt and pin basting it before I roll it on the frame instead of using the three poles to layer the quilt as I go.

I can do a quilt up to 90" wide.  I made a quilt years ago that was 99" wide and I had to get out the old board and clamp quilt frames to do that one.

Here is the current Grace Frame.
Image result for grace ez3 quilting frame company


My floor hoop is by The Grace Company.  I'm not sure they make these anymore.  It can be taken apart and stored flat.



The cross hatch stitching you see in the white alternate square is basting.


It has a 24" hoop (I think).  You can buy one with an 18" hoop.  I tried to find an online image , there is one on Pinterest but I couldn't link it.


3 comments:

Julierose said...

Thank you so much--Robin!;))))
My husband went "Holy Smokes!" when he saw the frame your husband built! [after my saying "Well, her hubby built one for her!" hahaha..]

I also like the look of that Grace floor frame.
Your floor frame is beautiful...you must love using it...
I hope you are enjoying your low vol. quilting...
I am still pondering how to quilt my snowballs...
maybe just around the perimeter of each center section?
And then straight lines on the sashings...hugs, Julierose

Janet O. said...

My Mom hand quilted on a very early model of a frame like that. I think it may have been an early Grace frame, and Dad did some modification on it to make it more to Mom's liking.
I have a round-hooped free standing frame, but I wish I would have found a square one like yours!

Carli The Quilter said...

I have hand quilted for years and just about the start another quilt as soon as I can get to a table or floor big enough to sandwich it.
Really nice frame, I have an old fashioned one that I'll be using for the edges. Then round adjustable hoop for the rest. I don't have room enough for a quilt frame up for extended time periods.

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...