Thursday, September 19, 2019

Stitchin' along



This is the next installment on my Cheddarback Quilt.  I really enjoyed making the tree.  I have never made one before.  I used a deep green paisley fabric made by Pam Buda.

I decided to put in all four of my initials for the letter blocks.  The "R" and "M" are my first and middle name.  I'll put in my maiden name and last name in the letter blocks on the bottom of this row.




Here is a picture of the new section and the one next to it.  I'm really liking this quilt.




I revised the border on my AHIQ floral quilt.  It just looked too plain (below) so I added more red.  I could imagine quite a few different ways to do the border but each one was too fancy.  These primitive flowers just needed something country.  I like how it turned out.




I've finished five of my low volume blocks.  It is an interesting experiment working on something so low key.  The pattern for these blocks is called Grandma's Pie Plate.  It is so soothing to just sit down and applique these gentle curves.




Autumn has shown up at our house.  The Locust trees are always the first ones to turn yellow in the fall and drop their leaves.  (They are also the last ones in the spring to leaf out).

This year they had something more stylish in mind. 




That branch isn't dead, it's just retiring early.

Hope you have something fun to sew on this afternoon.
Robin

12 comments:

Cathy said...

Your Cheddarback blocks are looking good. I need to post a photo of mine. I really love your improve quilt. The flowers are adorable. Hugs

Jeanne said...

Your Cheddarback looks great! I'm needing to get caught up with mine.

audrey said...

Your tree block looks so good! I have a terrible time getting those types of blocks to be precise and yours looks wonderful. Love the letter blocks. They add a lot of charm! And the flower quilt is so sweet. Looks like you're finishing it off just right.:) Lots to love about this post!

Karen said...

I made two of those tree blocks for my Dearest Boy quilt. The design does not look hard but I found the blocks to be challenging. You did well.

Kaja said...

Like Audrey, I would struggle to get the tree block accurate enough so I am full of admiration foryours. I like the flower quilt with that extra red a lot.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Very pretty on your Cheddarback quilt! I like the fabrics you are using and so far it is going to be a stunner!

Nancy said...

All of your Cheddarback blocks look great, Robin. That's a perfect flower on your basket. I love your letters. I especially like your pink sashing around the edges. It almost makes me reconsider the blue I chose that looks so close to the original fabric. Hmmmm. Wait a minute! I just looked at a close-up of your photo. Do you know the name and maker of the pink fabric? I think it looks like the blue I bought.
I think the border on your flower quilt is perfect. It fits the style of the flowers and quilt.
I'm still loving your Grandma's Pie Plate blocks.
How fun that just the one little branch of locust leaves turn gold. Honey locust trees line our driveway. When the leaves turn golden in the fall I always feel so wealthy, to have all that gold around me. I don't love the leaves quite so much after it rains and they get tracked everywhere, though. But I'd not trade them.

Janet O. said...

Your Cheddarback blocks always look so precise and crisp. Nice work!
You found just the right border for your primitive flower quilt. Good eye appeal.
I am glad you find the low volume quilt relaxing to stitch. Not sure if I could do low volume--I can't even finish a two color quilt in just two colors. I keep throwing in more. :)
There are 4 locust trees in my yard and I haven't even noticed if I have any changing yet. In the morning when it is light enough to see, I will have to check it out. "Retiring early"--ha ha, I like that.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what book/pattern you used for your letters. I like the style. The floral quilt is lovely simple but so lovely.
Dotti

Robin said...

Dotti,
I purchased the alphabet from Sentimental Stitches here;

https://sentimentalstitches.myshopify.com/products/cheddarback-block-of-the-month?variant=29492755136606

It is $5.00 for the whole alphabet download. It is a paper-pieced pattern, no templates.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Great progress on your Cheddarback quilt! And, I LOVE the AHIQ red addition. I love this quilt anyway, but your extra red sends it over the top! Funny thing about your locust tree branch. My neighbor and I were just discussing how we noticed this is happening a lot here in Maine this season. I have noticed it most in the maples where one branch is turned yet the rest of the tree is still green. I wondered if it was because it has been so dry lately, but of course scientists say it is only the lack of daylight that starts the photosynthesis process. Who knows, but it is pretty nonetheless!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh your Cheddarback quilt is looking mighty fine too! It sounded like you might be making it so I had to come over and take a peek! Your very talented your applique is scrumptous!

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...