Monday, September 9, 2019

Mary Brown in Wonderland

I originally thought I would use a FQ stack of have of Hope's Journey by Betsy Chutchian to make  this Celebrating Mary Brown quilt.  It's a beautiful collection.  But, I haven't been able to find it yet.  I know it's somewhere in my sewing room so it's a real mystery why I can't find it.  It's not like it's a big room.  

Image result for hope's journey by betsy chutchian





This is one of the quilts made from Hope's Journey from Betsy Chutchian's Blog
It is a very interesting post so go check it out. . . 

Anyway, instead of tearing my hair out and going out in the backyard to howl. . . I went to plan B.

Here is my background.



It's a snow background, not gray.  I'll have to take a better picture later.

I've been wanting to make something using a little collection of Alice in Wonderland fabrics I have from different lines.  I know, it sounds odd.  So, I'm trying to figure out how I can use some of this fabric in Mary Brown without it being too weird.  I don't want the quilt to shout ALICE IN WONDERLAND - I want to just have subtle hints here and there. 




 I have a really lovely floral by Blend that I using as my inspiration piece and I ordered some pastel grunge fabrics (which are adorable) and they came yesterday.



I'm sure I'll be adding pieces and tossing pieces as I go along.

This fabric choice may or may not work but I think I'll know after the first couple of blocks.  If it's just all wrong I'll get busy and tear my sewing room apart and start over.

I'm also in the process of reading a book by David Day called Alice in Wonderland DECODED.  It's quite fascinating and is immersing me in this whole project.
I've had out-of-town company all week and am just itching to get started on this quilt.  I think I'll still have to wait until Wednesday before I can begin  (BIG SIGH).

Robin

PS I know I'm crazy.

8 comments:

Cathy said...

I love the fabrics you have chosen. We are going to have fun with this sew along. Hugs

Janet O. said...

I enjoyed following your thought process on this, Robin. And I have to say that from a Betsy Chutchian collection to Alice in Wonderland fabrics is quite a leap! LOL But I look forward to seeing the outcome.

marina said...

can't wait to see your work on Mary Brown! I'm sure a blend of fabrics will look good.
Hope you find your lost stash of fat 1/4's.

Karen said...

I have some of "Hope's Journey" in my sewing room. At least, I thik I do. I like Betsy's fabric lines. I discovered her this past year.

Nancy said...

Do you think it's a distant cousin thing or an age-related thing that we lose things in the rooms where we sew and can't find them? This happens to me too often! They are beautiful fabrics and I hope you find them. But I also like your Alice fabrics. They seem very fanciful to me and will make a fun quilt. But if you don't like them, good luck finding your Hope's Journey fabrics!

Kaja said...

Well I'm sorry you can't find your first choice fabrics but I like your idea of Alice fabrics a lot. I hope you do like the first couple of blocks.

Jeanne said...

I'm a Betsy Chutchian fan too. Did you find those FQs?

Susan said...

I hope you found those Hope's Journey FQs. I love that line and wish I'd seen it in 2016! There is a place where some of it is still available, but not all of it. I think the Alice Fabrics will work well, too, but give it a different look.

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...