Saturday, January 25, 2020

Swoon 16, Blitzen, and the best news of all


I had a 2-day retreat with my quilt group.  So I decided to cut up a Swoon 16 quilt that I've had the fabric for since the winter of 2013-2014.  I'm always scanning the computer for the upcoming fabric lines.  This is Blintzen by BasicGrey and I just couldn't get it out of my mind.


Image result for blitzen by basicgrey for moda


So I ordered a FQ stack and had it sent to my daughter (I was away from home in Wisconsin at the time).  When I returned home she had spread it out on my ironing board in the sewing room and petted it while we looked at it.


She loved it because of the colors and the fact that there are snowmen in it - her favorite thing.  You can see a sliver of the dark gray and green colorway of the snowmen above.



I cut out the 16 blocks but only got one made at the retreat.

 *Note to self - if I decide to start another quilt at a retreat, make up one block at home to familiarize myself with it's construction.




It's a 16" block so it's a little forgiving in the construction.  Thanks goodness!




Here is my stack so far.  I have been working on it all week.  There are 13 in the stack and I've made one more since the picture.  That only leaves 2 more blocks to make.  I'm hoping to do that this afternoon.




This is one of the completed block.  I hope the sashing I have picked out will make these blocks shine.



I saved the best for last.  We have a new grandson.  He arrived three weeks early   The above picture was taken a little while after he was born.  Mom had a rough time getting him here.  He only weighed 5 lbs. and was 17 1/2" long.  It's easy to see how small he is in the arms of my youngest son below.



What a blessing,
Robin

4 comments:

Karen said...

Congratulations on the new grandchild!

You have had that fabric in stash for a good while and now finally using it. Will the quilt be for your daughter?

Janet O. said...

That is a nice fabric line. Looks good in the Swoon block!
Oh, congrats on the new wee one. That IS the best news of all!

Kaja said...

Congratulations on your new grandson. Two of my kids were tiny when they came - it's like a whole extra stage of babydom, isn't it? Your fabrics are fabulous; I'm not surprised you and your daughter like them so much.

Nancy said...

Congratulations on your new grandson, Robin! (The fabric is nice but new babies are nicer!)

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...